BJP questions Sonia on Guwahati molestation case handlingJuly 17th, 2012 - 6:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 17 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party Tuesday demanded a “statement” from Congress president Sonia Gandhi over the way the Guwahati molestation case was handled by the Congress government in Assam.
“Chief of Congress party and UPA being a woman herself, the BJP demands that she come out clean … Is this the kind of administration she wants. Is this the kind of insensitivity with which she wants the Congress governments to function,” BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.
The BJP’s comments come a day after Congress leader Alka Lamba was removed from the fact-finding committee sent to the state by the National Commission for Women after she let out the name of the victim at a press meet. The Supreme Court has banned disclosure of a rape victim’s identity.
“Those appointed in the commission, are these kind of people by whom justice has to be delivered. BJP takes all this very seriously in cognizance and demands an apology from the chief minister and statement of clarity from Sonia Gandhi if this is the way she wants her state governments to handle women-related matters,” Sitharaman said.
The teenaged girl was assaulted when she came out of a bar in the heart of Guwahati July 9. A total of 12 people have so far been arrested in connection with the incident, while a search is on for prime accused Amarjyoti Kalita.
- Sack Chidambaram, demands BJP - Sep 27, 2011
- BJP questions PM, Sonia on Dikshit's 'defiance' of Shunglu report - Mar 29, 2011
- NCW for fast track court in Assam girl molestation case - Jul 14, 2012
- Congress first family should explain Bofors: BJP - Jan 09, 2011
- BJP makes veiled attack on Rahul over Ramdev crackdown - Jun 09, 2011
- BJP hits back at prime minister - Sep 27, 2011
- UPA a total failure: BJP - Jul 23, 2012
- Reply to Shunglu charges, don't pass judgement: BJP to Dikshit - Mar 30, 2011
- NCW chairperson meets Gogoi on molestation case - Jul 18, 2012
- BJP demands immediate sacking of Chavan - Oct 30, 2010
- Guwahati molestation prime accused being brought back to Assam - Jul 24, 2012
- BJP slams Congress for being unable to act on corrupt ministers - Dec 19, 2010
- Ahead of PM's media interaction, BJP ups the ante (Roundup) - Feb 15, 2011
- BJP slams UPA Govt., alleges Bofors scam reached Gandhi's doorstep - Jan 09, 2011
- Case against Modi should be closed: BJP - Feb 11, 2012
Tags: alka, assam, being a woman, bharatiya janata party, bjp demands, chief minister, cognizance, congress government, congress leader, congress party, congress president sonia gandhi, insensitivity, july 17, kalita, lamba, molestation case, rape victim, state governments, teenaged girl, UPA