BJP questions poll-timed fund release by Jharkhand governorApril 1st, 2009 - 4:48 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, April 1 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is crying foul over Jharkhand Governor Syed Sibte Razi’s move to release a Rs.910 million revival package for Heavy Engineering Corporation, allegedly in violation of the election code of conduct.
The BJP Wednesday demanded an FIR against the governor, who Tuesday released a cheque of Rs.91 crore (Rs.910 million) to Heavy Engineering Corporation Monday as a part of the Rs.250 crore revival package passed by the state government Feb 13, a fortnight before the election code of conduct came into force.
“(The) governor is violating the model code of conduct. FIRs are lodged against politicians, ministers, chief ministers for violating the code. An FIR should also be lodged against the Jharkhand governor,” BJP president Raghubar Das told IANS.
The governor in performing chief ministerial functions in the absence of an elected government in the state. Jharkhand is under president’s rule since Feb 26 following the political flux in the wake of then chief minister Shibu Soren failing to win a by-election to the state legislature.
“This is the second time the governor has violated the model code of conduct. We are writing to the Election Commission,” said Das.
Earlier, the governor’s role came under the poll panel scanner when he ordered hike in government employees’ dearness allowance (DA).
The government later stayed the DA hike after the poll watchdog raised objections to the move announced after model code of conduct came into operation.
- Jharkhand reverses DA hike after poll panel objection - Mar 30, 2009
- BJP accuses Jharkhand governor of violating model code - Mar 25, 2009
- Jharkhand governor's DA hike decision under EC scanner - Mar 28, 2009
- Shun violence, Jharkhand governor tells Maoists - Jan 26, 2012
- FIR against Jharkhand speaker for poll violations - May 25, 2012
- BJP demands probe in Razi's role during central rule in Jharkhand - Jul 20, 2009
- Ajit Pawar, Pune mayor get notices for violating poll code - Jan 06, 2012
- Cash for Vote: BJP demands case against all six legislators (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
- Police complaint against Jharkhand BJP president - Jul 02, 2011
- Munda chosen BJP legislative party leader - Sep 07, 2010
- 32 police officers transferred in Jharkhand - Jul 29, 2010
- Will oppose any move to weaken poll panel: BJP - Feb 21, 2012
- Paramilitary forces should guard EVMs in Jharkhand: BJP - Apr 27, 2009
- Poll panel blocks 400 government jobs in Goa - Jan 05, 2012
- Jharkhand demolitions: BJP leaders seeks PM's intervention - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp president, chief minister, chief ministers, crore, election code, election commission, engineering corporation, firs, fortnight, government employees, heavy engineering, jharkhand governor, ministerial functions, model code, political flux, razi, revival package, rs 250, shibu soren