BJP protests stall parliament again (Second Lead)September 4th, 2012 - 4:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 4 (IANS) Continuing protests by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) over coal block allocations Tuesday forced the Lok Sabha to adjourn for the day Tuesday, while the Rajya Sabha was adjourned till 4 p.m. after repeated disruptions.
When the Rajya Sabha met at 2 p.m. after two adjournments, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad got up to introduce the AIIMS bill that seeks to establish similar premier medical institutes in six cities. However, the BJP drowned out all proceedings with their shouting.
P.J. Kurien, who was in the chair, tried in vain to tell the members to be quiet. He then adjourned the house till 4 p.m. The bill has been passed by the Lok Sabha.
Earlier, the Lok Sabha was adjourned for the day amid continuous din after it met at 12 noon after one adjournment.
The BJP members kept up their chant demanding Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s resignation over the government auditor’s report alleging large scale irregularities in allocating coal blocks.
Ignoring the shouting, Congress MP P.C. Chacko, who was in the chair, got passed the National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bangalore, Bill 2012. With this, both houses of parliament have cleared the bill, which was earlier passed by the upper house.
The AIADMK members were holding placards protesting the forthcoming visit of Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa to India on Sep 21 for a Buddhist celebration. “Don’t allow Rajapaksa in Buddha celebrations at Madhya Pradesh on Sep 21,” the placards read.
Parliament’s monsoon session is set to end on Sep 7. This session has so far seen nine successive working days lost due to the BJP’s protests.
- Both houses adjourned, two bills quickly passed (Third Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Rajya Sabha passes bill for AIIMS-like institutes - Sep 04, 2012
- BJP, SP protests force parliament adjournment till Friday (Second Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- BJP protests force Lok Sabha to adjourn for day (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Coal fuels parliament disruptions for sixth day (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Parliament disrupted over coal block allocations (Roundup) - Sep 06, 2012
- BJP disrupts parliament again (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Parliament disrupted for 10th day, promotions quota bill likely Wednesday (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- Day 10: parliament disrupted again - Sep 04, 2012
- Logjam continues, parliament adjourned (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- After 13 days of disruption, monsoon session ends (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Parliament disrupted, quota bill introduced (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- BJP sticks to 'quit PM' demand (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Promotion quota bill in Rajya Sabha - Sep 05, 2012
- Parliament adjourned as logjam continues - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: aiadmk, bharatiya janata party, chacko, forthcoming visit, ghulam nabi azad, government auditor, houses of parliament, institute of mental health, kurien, Lok Sabha, mahinda rajapaksa, manmohan singh, medical institutes, monsoon session, national institute of mental health, president mahinda rajapaksa, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, sri lankan president