BJP protests attempts to ‘take over’ MCDApril 9th, 2010 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 9 (IANS) Hundreds of Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) councillors and activists Friday protested against Delhi government’s attempts to “take over” the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD).
The protesters took out a march from Shaheed Park in central Delhi to the Delhi Secretariat but they were detained near ITO by police. They were released after an hour.
Strongly criticising the Sheila Dixit government for depriving the MCD from undertaking the development work by constituting the Rural Board and Slum Board, Leader of the House in the MCD Subhash Arya said: “The state government is interfering in our work and denying us the right to carry out any development works”.
“The move of state government to transfer the slum department, currently under the MCD’s purview, to the Delhi government proves this,” he added.
Vijender Gupta, the former chairman of MCD’s standing committee, said: “The state government is not cooperating with MCD. Cutting short financial assistance, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit is curtailing our rights”.
“The step-motherly treatment by the Delhi government cannot be tolerated by the councillors of MCD,” he added.
Claiming a recent report of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) had put the Delhi government “in the dock”, BJP’s Delhi unit chief Om Prakash Kohli said: The government, against which the CAG has made serious charges has no right to deprive the MCD which is an elected body and leave it crippled.”
- MCD elections: Sheila attacks BJP - Mar 12, 2012
- Ahead of Delhi civic polls, Gadkari attacks Congress - Apr 03, 2012
- Civic councillors protest Delhi government takeover move - Oct 06, 2009
- MCD house rejects agency's division - Aug 05, 2011
- MCD leaders to meet PM over transfer of powers - Oct 27, 2009
- Dikshit did not influence CWG contract: Official (Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- MCD trifurcation: Delhi mayor meets Chidambaram - Nov 19, 2011
- BJP, police clash again at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- BJP wins Delhi civic polls, but road ahead not so smooth - Apr 17, 2012
- MCD snubbed at Games opener, says Delhi mayor - Oct 05, 2010
- Fund allocation for MCD roads meagre: CAG - Aug 20, 2009
- BJP protests, says government shielding Dikshit (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Delhi civic polls: BJP heads for big lead (Second Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Protesting BJP workers taken into custody - Aug 11, 2011
- MCD seeks scrapping of property tax in unauthorised colonies - Nov 10, 2010
Tags: arya, board leader, cag, central delhi, chief minister, comptroller and auditor general, councillors, delhi government, financial assistance, gupta, kohli, municipal corporation of delhi, shaheed, sheila dikshit, sheila dixit, slum board, standing committee, state government, subhash, unit chief