BJP promises Gorkhaland, GJM joins NDA (Lead)April 3rd, 2009 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 3 (IANS) Holding out the promise of a separate state of Gorkhaland, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Friday got another ally in the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM), which is set to join the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) and support BJP candidate Jaswant Singh for the Darjeeling Lok Sabha seat in West Bengal.
Talking to reporters after the release of the party’s manifesto here, BJP president Rajnath Singh said the BJP had always stood for smaller states, and had during the NDA rule created Chhattisgarh, Uttarakhand and Jharkhand. “In future, we will work for Gorkhaland and Telangana (in Andhra Pradesh),” he said.
The GJM is spearheading an agitation for what it calls Gorkhaland, a separate state to be formed out of Darjeeling and the foothills of the Himalayas that are now a part of West Bengal.
Singh said Jaswant Singh - the party’s leader in the Rajya Sabha - will be its candidate from Darjeeling. With the support of the GJM, Jaswant Singh is expected to win.
Speaking at the same venue, BJP’s senior leader L.K. Advani said the GJM decided to join the NDA after discussions with top Gorkhaland leaders.
GJM president Bimal Gurung and general secretary Roshan Giri have been camping in Delhi for the last two days to hold talks with the BJP leaders.
- Gorkha Janamukti Morcha to be part of NDA - Apr 03, 2009
- Darjeeling accord on July 18: Mamata (Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- GJM activists now demand 'Gorkha Adivasi Pradesh' - May 31, 2010
- Darjeeling Gorkhas hope hill council will get a nod - Mar 03, 2012
- Darjeeling pact signed amid euphoria and protests (Roundup) - Jul 18, 2011
- Darjeeling set for historic treaty - amid controversy - Jul 17, 2011
- Trucks torched, Gorkhaland demand intensifies in Darjeeling (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- GJM joins NDA on Gorkhaland promise, but allies unhappy (Roundup) - Apr 03, 2009
- Discussions with Chidambaram on separate Gorkhaland state positive: Roshan Giri - Jan 26, 2011
- New state will be Gorkha Adivasi Pradesh, says Gurung - May 31, 2010
- GJM candidates only ones in fray in about half of GTA seats - Jul 12, 2012
- Darjeeling issue solved, says Mamata; GJM maintains Gorkhaland demand (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Darjeeling issue solved, says Mamata after talks with GJM (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- GJM supporters go on rampage in Darjeeling (Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
- Mamata blames centre for delay on Gorkha autonomy (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bimal, bjp leaders, darjeeling, general secretary, giri, gjm, gorkha, gurung, himalayas, jharkhand, l k advani, Lok Sabha, national democratic alliance, rajnath singh, rajya sabha, roshan, telangana, uttarakhand, west bengal