BJP poser to government on ‘rejected’ foodgrainOctober 21st, 2010 - 11:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 21 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Thursday asked the government whether the tonnes of foodgrain found unsuitable for use in laboratory tests were being supplied to the poor.
According to BJP secretary Kirit Somaiya, Food Corporation of India’s (FCI) Institute of Food Security in Gurgaon had informed him in a Right to Information (RTI) query that 95 of the 285 rice samples taken between Jan 1, 2009 and July 31, 2010, were found “beyond rejection limit.”
“These samples cover lakhs of tonnes of foodgrain. If so much stock had been rejected, where has it gone? The rejected stock does not fit PDS (Public Distribution System) norms. Have they been mixed,” Somaiya asked, alleging that the poor were being given inferior quality foodgrain.
He said 42 of 72 wheat samples, and one sample of paddy were rejected as well.
He said the BJP will intervene in the public interest litigation being heard in the Supreme Court on corruption in the PDS and rotting foodgrain in government godowns.
Somaiya said FCI Haryana informed him in another RTI application that out of the 64 lakh tonnes of wheat lying with the FCI central pool in Haryana, 50 lakh tonnes were lying in the open.
In March 2008, FCI had said the amount was only 1 lakh tonnes, Somaiya claimed.
- BJP seeks white paper on foodgrain storage - Aug 08, 2010
- 'No action by centre to probe foodgrain rotting in godowns' - Aug 13, 2010
- Food grains rot in FCI godowns across India - Jul 27, 2010
- Infected foodgrain being supplied to poor in Mumbai: BJP - Aug 09, 2010
- Govt. cannot follow SC's direction on foodgrain distribution: Pawar - Aug 19, 2010
- Distribute stored foodgrain to flood-affected, Gadkari urges PM - Sep 25, 2010
- Distribute rotting foodgrains to poor: Gadkari - Sep 01, 2010
- Punjab, Haryana stare at foodgrain wastage again, seek help - Jul 22, 2011
- Empowered Ministers to discuss apex court order on foodgrains - Sep 02, 2010
- Foodgrain pile up scare in Punjab - Apr 04, 2012
- Release excess food for the poor: CPI-M - Jun 11, 2012
- PDS hike under consideration: Ministerial panel - Sep 02, 2010
- Haryana to create more foodgrain storage - Jun 20, 2012
- BJP demands joint parliamentary committee to monitor food storage - Apr 16, 2010
- BJP to launch weeklong agitation over 'CBI misuse' - Aug 07, 2010
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, central pool, corruption, fci, food corporation of india, food security, gurgaon, haryana, inferior quality, laboratory tests, lakh tonnes, New Delhi, norms, public distribution system, public interest litigation, rejection, rti application, supreme court, wheat samples