BJP pits women’s wing chief against Mamata in Kolkata SouthMarch 13th, 2009 - 11:01 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 13 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Friday fielded a woman candidate against Mamata Banerjee for the Lok Sabha’s Kolkata South seat after Trinamool Congress snapped ties with the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) to team up with the Congress in West Bengal.
BJP sources here said the party’s state Mahila Morcha (women’s wing) president Jyotsna Banerjee has been nominated for the prestigious constituency.
The Trinamool Congress was a part of the BJP-led NDA earlier and Mamata Banerjee had served as the railways minister and coal minister in former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s cabinet.
- Mamata Banerjee: Timeline of an intrepid politician - May 20, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee's mother dies (Second Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- Mamata to skip UPA meet, dares Congress to snap ties (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- GJM to go with Trinamool on presidential poll - Jun 28, 2012
- I proposed Kalam's name for president: Mamata - Jan 30, 2012
- Pranab yet again appeals to Trinamool - Jun 24, 2012
- Sangma meets Mamata; fails to get commitment on support (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Mamata Banerjee - West Bengal's stormy petrel returns to cabinet - May 22, 2009
- Presidential poll: Pranab, Sangma to file papers Thursday - Jun 27, 2012
- CPI-M student leader to contest Kolkata South by-poll - Nov 03, 2011
- Mamata proving a disappointment for Bengal (Comment) - Mar 03, 2012
- Trinamool retains Kolkata South with massive margin - Dec 04, 2011
- Sangma meeets Mamata - Jun 26, 2012
- BJP seeks Mamata's support on coal blocks issue - Aug 22, 2012
- Over 51 percent vote in Kolkata South by-poll - Nov 30, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bihari vajpayee, bjp, coal, constituency, former prime minister, jyotsna, kolkata, Lok Sabha, mahila, mamata banerjee, national democratic alliance, pits, prime minister atal bihari, railways, ties, trinamool congress, west bengal, woman candidate