BJP pits Pant against Uttarakhand CMJune 19th, 2012 - 1:41 pm ICT by IANS
Dehradun, June 19 (IANS) The BJP Tuesday announced the candidature of its senior leader Prakash Pant against Uttarakahand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna in the Sitarganj assembly by-election.
Senior leaders of the Uttarakhand unit said while three names were sent to the Bharatiya Janata Party leadership, Pant got the green signal to contest.
Pant has been a minister in successive BJP governments in the hill state. He lost the March assembly polls from Pithoragarh.
Bahuguna, when he became the chief minister, was a MP from Tehri. He is contesting from Sitarganj as a Congress candidate. He filed his nomination papers June 14.
The Samajwadi Party, Bahujan Samaj Party and Uttarakhand Kranti Dal have decided not to field a candidate against the chief minister citing political propriety.
The election will be held July 8. The seat fell vacant following the resignation of BJP legislator Kiran Mandal last month.
- Vijay Bahuguna named new Uttarakhand chief minister (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Vijay Bahuguna named Uttarakhand chief minister (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Bahuguna proves majority amidst walkout - Mar 29, 2012
- Rebellion peters out in Uttarakhand Congress - Mar 20, 2012
- Jaspal Rana quits BJP, joins Congress - Jan 10, 2012
- Bahuguna downplays Rawat's dissent (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Not poaching among BJP for Bahuguna's seat: Rawat - Apr 27, 2012
- It may be BJP-Congress tie in Uttarakhand (Fifth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Bahuguna sworn in amid revolt by Harish Rawat (Second Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- BJP gets slender lead in Uttarakhand seesaw battle (Sixth Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Uncertainty over government formation in Uttarakhand (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Bahuguna sworn in asUttarakhand chief minister (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Over 65 percent voting in Punjab bypoll - Jul 11, 2012
- Over 65 percent polling in Punjab bypoll (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Haryana bypolls campaigning ends, voting Wednesday - Nov 28, 2011
Tags: assembly polls, bharatiya janata party, bjp, candidature, chief minister, congress candidate, governments, june 14, kranti, legislator, mp, nomination papers, pant, party leadership, pits, propriety, resignation, Samajwadi Party, tehri, three names