BJP picks tribal leader for deputy speaker’s postJune 2nd, 2009 - 3:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 2 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Tuesday decided to nominate senior tribal leader from Jharkhand, Karia Munda, for the post of deputy speaker in the Lok Sabha, which by tradition is offered to the opposition.
BJP general secretary Arun Jaitley told reporters after a meeting of the party’s parliamentary board that Munda had “vast parliamentary experience” and was among the senior MPs of the party.
Jaitley added: “Considering his experience we thought he is the most appropriate person (for the post).”
Munda, 72, is a six-time MP and was a minister in the Morarji Desai government (1977-79) and also in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee ministry. He was earlier a legislator in Bihar and later in Jharkhand.
The party, which was earlier mulling the name of Madhya Pradesh’s Sumitra Mahajan for the post, changed its mind after the Congress propped up Dalit woman MP Meira Kumar from Bihar for the speaker’s post.
- Karia Munda all set to become Deputy Speaker of LS today - Jun 08, 2009
- Karia Munda elected Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha - Jun 08, 2009
- BJP nominates Dalit leader Kariya Munda for LS Deputy Speaker's post - Jun 02, 2009
- Party leaders should be selected through merit only: Jaitley - Sep 22, 2011
- Top BJP leaders likely to skip Munda swearing-in (Night Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Karia Munda, a tribal's journey from farmer to Deputy Speaker (Profile) - Jun 02, 2009
- BJP denies Gadkari, Advani rift over Jharkhand moves - Sep 10, 2010
- Jaswant files nomination for vice presidential poll (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Lok Sabha adjourned as BJP protests over Lokpal debate - Aug 26, 2011
- Unparliamentary words in parliament stall proceedings (Parliament Roundup) - May 05, 2010
- Advani to stay away from Ranchi, BJP says all is fine - Sep 10, 2010
- BJP mulling Muslim or tribal for deputy speaker post - Jun 01, 2009
- Jhakhand scraps free power connection scheme - Apr 16, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Order on bail plea of five accused Nov 16 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- BJP faces revolt over Rajya Sabha nomination (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: arun jaitley, atal bihari, bharatiya janata party, bihar, bjp, congress, deputy speaker, general secretary, legislator, Lok Sabha, madhya pradesh, meira kumar, morarji desai, mps, munda, New Delhi, opposition, sumitra mahajan, tribal leader, woman mp