BJP opportunistic in fielding Jaswant from Darjeeling: CPI-MApril 14th, 2009 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 14 (IANS) The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Tuesday called the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) “highly opportunistic” for fielding veteran leader Jaswant Singh from West Bengal’s Darjeeling with the support of the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM).
“The BJP has taken a very highly opportunistic and unprincipled decision to field Jaswant Singh from Darjeeling hills with GJM support. They should look at the long term interest of the country,” CPI-M general secretary Prakash Karat said during a meet-the-press programme at the Kolkata Press Club here.
“I think they’ll later regret their decision,” Karat said.
The GJM, the principal political outfit in the hills which is spearheading a movement for a separate Gorkhaland state, has supported Singh’s candidature after the BJP agreed to sympathetically consider its demand.
Singh, a former central minister, will be up against sitting MP Dawa Narbula of the Congress and CPI-M candidate Jibesh Sarkar among others.
Three of the assembly segments in the constituency - Darjeeling, Kalimpong and Kurseong - are in the hills where the GJM now appears to have a stronghold. The remaining four parts - Matigara-Naxalbari, Siliguri, Phansidewa and Chopra - are in the plains.
Darjeeling goes to polls April 30.
- Jaswant Singh shown black flags in Siliguri - Apr 14, 2009
- Darjeeling votes peacefully in large numbers - Apr 18, 2011
- Jaswant files nomination, says it's his big day (Lead) - Apr 09, 2009
- Jaswant promises to raise Gorkhaland demand with Delhi - Apr 10, 2009
- Once a Maoist hub, Naxalbari all set to vote (Lead) - Apr 17, 2011
- No talk of 'red rebels' as Naxalbari goes to polls - Apr 17, 2011
- 364 to contest 54 seats in Bengal first phase poll - Apr 05, 2011
- 'Fear factor' missing from Darjeeling campaigning, say parties - Apr 12, 2011
- Darjeeling gearing up for assembly polls - Mar 26, 2011
- Jaswant arrives in Darjeeling to a rousing reception - Apr 07, 2009
- Ghising, Tamang's wife giving tough fight to GJM - Apr 15, 2011
- High polling in Naxalbari - Apr 19, 2011
- Over 1,200 candidates lost deposit in Bengal polls - May 18, 2011
- All CPI-M candidates pull out of Gorkhaland polls - Jul 12, 2012
- GJM faces heat from rival parties for strong-arm tactics - Jul 07, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, candidature, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, constituency, CPI, darjeeling hills, dawa, general secretary, kalimpong, kolkata, kurseong, meet the press, political outfit, prakash karat, sarkar, stronghold, term interest, veteran leader, west bengal