BJP members walk out of 2G JPC (Lead)August 22nd, 2012 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 22 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) members of the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) on the 2G spectrum allocation scam Wednesday walked out from a meeting of the committee, calling it a “kangaroo court”.
They were upset over former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee being named among those the JPC wanted to interrogate.
They were also miffed as the Congress wanted to summon Arun Shourie, who was the telecom minister during the National Democratic Alliance’s (NDA) rule.
BJP members wanted to summon Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P. Chidambaram. Their demand was rejected by Congress members, a source said.
“It is a kangaroo court, so we came out,” a BJP member said.
Jaswant Singh, Yashwant Sinha, Dharmendra Pradhan, Gopinath Munde and Ravi Shankar Prasad were among the BJP leaders who walked out of the meeting, which was expected to finalise the list of people who shall depose before the JPC.
Yashwant Sinha alleged that “foul language” was used by Congress members in the JPC.
“They began using foul language against us. The chairman made no comment on it despite some of them making accusations against us, so we decided to walk out,” Sinha said.
The JPC has 30 members — 20 from the Lok Sabha and 10 from the Rajya Sabha. It is headed by Congress leader P.C. Chacko.
BJP has six members, while Congress has 11 members in the JPC, which was formed to look into the 2G spectrum allocation scam.
- Congress slams BJP for walkout from 2G JPC (second lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- BJP members walk out of 2G parliamentary committee - Aug 22, 2012
- BJP terms Congress 'obstinate' - Aug 23, 2012
- BJP MPs walk out of 2G JPC meet (Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- BJP MPs walk out of 2G JPC meet, say no point in continuing (Second Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- BJP mulls quitting JPC on 2G, says chairman 'dictatorial' (Third Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- 30-member JPC formed to probe 2G scam, telecom policy (Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- Congress slams Sinha for attacks on Chidambaram - May 07, 2011
- Congress, BJP clash in JPC probing 2G scam - Jun 19, 2012
- Sibal moves motion for JPC in Rajya Sabha - Mar 01, 2011
- JPC examining NDA's 1999 telecom policy, summons Sorabjee (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Rajya Sabha passes motion for forming JPC (Roundup) - Mar 01, 2011
- PAC report on 2G spectrum allocation by April: Joshi - Mar 24, 2011
- Sibal moves motion for JPC in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- JPC asked to quiz Chidambaram on 2G - Jul 28, 2011
Tags: bjp leaders, chacko, congress leader, congress members, dharmendra, finance minister, former prime minister, gopinath munde, jaswant singh, kangaroo court, Lok Sabha, manmohan singh, national democratic alliance, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, ravi shankar, ravi shankar prasad, spectrum allocation, yashwant sinha