BJP makes veiled attack on Rahul over Ramdev crackdownJune 9th, 2011 - 7:08 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, June 9 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Thursday made a veiled attack on Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi for not expressing sympathies with those injured during police action on supporters of Baba Ramdev.
It also said the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government had not done enough to unearth black money stashed abroad.
BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said that people supporting Ramdev had posed “very relevant questions on corruption”.
Referring to Gandhi’s visit to Bhatta Parsaul village of Greater Noida last month to express sympathy with victims of police action on farmers agitating for greater compensation of their acquired lands, Sitharaman said the Congress had not spoken about victims of police action at Ramlila Ground June 4 that led to eviction of Ramdev and his supporters.
“They do this when there is political expediency. Bhatta Parsaul (incident) was condemned, victims visited, condoled and sympathised for all that went wrong, but not Baba Ramdev’s supporters. Their priorities are very well laid out,” she said, without naming Gandhi.
Sitharaman said it had taken years for the government to put some of those accused of corruption in jail but it had taken “one day to swoop on protesters asking very relevant questions on corruption”.
She said the government had not taken any major steps to unearth black money.
“I wonder if the government is with people of India or with those stashing black money abroad,” she said.
- Ramdev supporters detained by police - Aug 13, 2012
- Nationwide protests against black money Sunday: Ramdev - Jun 01, 2012
- Baba Ramdev detained in Ambedkar Stadium - Aug 13, 2012
- Parties back black money issue inside, outside parliament (Second Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- BJP backs Ramdev's agitation - Aug 10, 2012
- Baba Ramdev asks PM to act on black money (Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Three-day meditation in Gujarat before Delhi agitation: Ramdev - Aug 05, 2012
- Ramdev detained on way to parliament (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Ramdev's parliament march thwarted, gains wide political support (Roundup) - Aug 13, 2012
- Ramdev's parliament march thwarted, gains wide political support (Intro Roundup) - Aug 13, 2012
- Ramdev asks PM to act on black money (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Ramdev, Hazare to fast against corruption (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Ram Jethmalani attacks Rahul Gandhi - Aug 14, 2012
- Hazare to support Ramdev's Aug 9 protest - Jul 17, 2012
- Rift mars Ramdev-Anna show, PM targeted over graft inaction (Intro Roundup) - Jun 03, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, black money, congress, corruption, crackdown, farmers, general secretary, police action, political expediency, priorities, progressive alliance, protesters, rahul gandhi, relevant questions, spokesperson, swoop, sympathies, sympathy, UPA