BJP, Left answerable for Purulia arms drop case: CongressApril 29th, 2011 - 11:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 29 (IANS) The Congress Friday contended that the Left and the BJP were answerable for the handling of the 1995 Purulia arms drop case, which has resurfaced in the news.
The Congress made the charge in a statement Friday following a television interview Thursdasy of an accused - foreign national Kim Davy - in which he said Indian and British intelligence agencies were behind the dropping of the arms in Purulia district in West Bengal in 1995 with the aim of bringing down the then Left Front government in the state.
“We wish the BJP and the Left parties well in their joint belief in this version propounded by Bleach and Davy because they are clearly in a minority of one in holding such a belief,” Congress spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi said in a statement.
Singhi also alleged that the Left and the BJP had entered into an understanding - of the Left parties supporting the BJP in the Public Accounts Committee on the 2G spectrum issue and in return, the “BJP deciding to fully support the Left in the Bengal elections”.
“They do not tell the nation, but we want to know, what the Left Home Minister Indrajit Gupta did to address the issue from 1996 to 1998 after the arms drop of 1995 and thereafter what the Vajpayee government did except to honorably release such transnational criminals.”
The statement added: “The BJP does not disclose the content of the detailed recommendations of the then home minister L.K. Advani without whose recommendation an anti-national like Peter Bleach could not be given a Presidential pardon and released.”
“But it is an insult to the length, depth and width of Indian democracy to suggest on the basis of allegations by two crooks made after 16 years, that the only way the Central government could think of removing the Left government in West Bengal was to think of hare-brained scheme to get arms dropped by air from foreign countries by foreign national nations into West Bengal,” Singhvi said.
- CBI reply in Purulia arms drop case raises questions: Biman Bose - May 01, 2011
- CPI-M for judicial probe into Purulia arms drop - May 05, 2011
- Conspiracies continue against Left governments: Manik Sarkar - Apr 29, 2011
- Government trashes allegations by Purulia arms drop accused - Apr 30, 2011
- Was New Delhi linked to Purulia arms drop, asks CPI-M - Apr 28, 2011
- Explain role in Purulia arms drop: Left Front to UPA government (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Timeline of the Purulia arms drop case - Jun 30, 2011
- Pranab Mukherjee rubbishes demand for judicial probe in Purulia case - Apr 30, 2011
- No Indian government role in Purulia arms drop: CBI - Apr 29, 2011
- Purulia arms drop an Indian operation: Kim Davy - Apr 29, 2011
- Buddhadeb, CPI-M seek judicial probe into arms drop (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Buddhadeb demands judicial inquiry into arms drop case - Apr 29, 2011
- Pranab slams Buddhadeb's demand for Purulia probe - Apr 30, 2011
- Jail manuals, assurances may help Davy extradition: CBI official - May 26, 2011
- Danish court rejects Kim Davy's extradition to India - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,