BJP-led MCD developed culture of earning money: MakenApril 11th, 2012 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 11 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) ruled Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) had spent only Rs.125 crore of the Rs.10,533 crore sanctioned for various projects, Congress leader and union minister Ajay Maken said Wednesday, four days before polls to the civic body.
“The MCD has developed a culture of earning money, which is evident from the fact that out of Rs.10,533 crore sanctioned under JNNURM (Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission) scheme, the agency has been able to spend only Rs.125 crore,” Maken, minister of state of sports, told reporters.
Addressing a press conference with Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee chief Jai Prakash Agrawal, Maken said 64 cases had been filed against the civic agency in the three years between 2008 to 2010.
“The Central Bureau of Investigation and Delhi government’s anti-corruption wing have filed a total of 64 cases against MCD and 128 officers were involved in these cases,” said Maken.
According to Maken, the BJP-led MCD had been sanctioned almost double the amount of the previous Congress-led body.
“In 2005-06, the government provided Rs.673 crore to the Congress-led MCD. When BJP came to power in MCD, the Delhi governmrnt provided Rs.1,226 crore to the agency,” Maken said.
He said the MCD had failed to complete even one of the 16 projects awarded to it.
The election are scheduled to be held April 15.
- MCD elections: Congress rubbishes BJP attack - Apr 04, 2012
- Ahead of Delhi civic polls, Gadkari attacks Congress - Apr 03, 2012
- BJP wins Delhi civic polls, but road ahead not so smooth - Apr 17, 2012
- Sibal attacks 'multi-level corruption' in BJP-led MCD - Apr 13, 2012
- Splitting MCD a political move, says Delhi mayor - May 30, 2011
- Delhi votes BJP back to power in civic polls (Roundup) - Apr 17, 2012
- This was not my election: Sheila Dikshit - Apr 18, 2012
- Delhi votes BJP back to power in civic polls (Fourth lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Home ministry nod for MCD's trifurcation - Nov 23, 2011
- Citizen's charter among Congress promises for MCD polls - Apr 07, 2012
- BJP's extravagant campaign clicked with people: Congress - Apr 20, 2012
- For MCD officials, trifurcation costly, tiresome - Apr 20, 2012
- New Mayor for east Delhi civic agency - May 01, 2012
- MCD campaign: BJP banks on stars, Congress on ministers - Apr 07, 2012
- Delhi votes BJP back to power in civic polls (Intro Roundup) - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: agrawal, ajay maken, bharatiya janata party, central bureau of investigation, civic body, committee chief, congress leader, crore, delhi government, delhi pradesh congress committee, earning money, jai, jawaharlal nehru, minister of state, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, national urban, prakash, union minister, urban renewal