BJP leading in all Himachal Lok Sabha seatsMay 16th, 2009 - 11:21 am ICT by IANS
Shimla, May 16 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) was leading in all the four parliamentary constituencies of Himachal Pradesh as counting of votes cast for the Lok Sabha election was underway Saturday, a poll official said.
The counting of votes began at 8 a.m. and the BJP was got majority of the votes counted by 9 a.m.
The hill state’s four seats - Shimla (reserved for Scheduled Castes), Mandi, Hamirpur and Kangra - saw 59.17 percent polling May 13.
The main contest is between the Congress and the BJP. There are 31 candidates, including nine independents, in the fray.
The high-profile Mandi seat is seeing a fight between five-time chief minister Virbhadra Singh (Congress) and Maheshwar Singh (BJP). This constituency saw the maximum voter turnout of 64 percent.
The Congress fielded sitting MPs Dhani Ram Shandil and Chander Kumar in Shimla and Kangra respectively against the BJP’s Virender Kashyap and Rajan Sushant.
In Hamirpur, the Congress has fielded BJP rebel Narinder Thakur against the BJP’s sitting MP Anurag Thakur, the son of Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal.
The Congress had won three seats in the 2004 general elections, while the BJP had one seat.
- BJP sweeping polls in Himachal Pradesh - May 16, 2009
- Two-time MP, BJP rebel file nominations in Himachal - Apr 18, 2009
- Lacklustre Himachal poll campaign ends - May 12, 2009
- Spotlight on Mandi, Hamirpur (Poll curtainraiser - Himachal Pradesh) - May 12, 2009
- Himachal poll war hots up as Congress names candidates - Mar 15, 2009
- Himachal Pradesh sees over 58 percent polling (Roundup) - May 14, 2009
- Polling starts in Himachal Pradesh - May 13, 2009
- People voted for good governance: Himachal CM (Roundup) - May 16, 2009
- Himachal sees 13 percent polling in first three hours (Lead) - May 13, 2009
- 55 percent polling in Himachal (Third Lead) - May 13, 2009
- Dhumal will have to ensure BJP victory, not just son's - Apr 26, 2009
- 35 percent polling in Himachal by early afternoon (Second Lead) - May 13, 2009
- 31 in poll fray from Himachal Pradesh - Apr 27, 2009
- BJP leading in three Himachal seats, Congress in one (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- Keen poll contest likely in Himachal Pradesh - Mar 03, 2009
Tags: anurag, bharatiya janata party, chander, chief minister, general elections, hamirpur, himachal, kangra, kashyap, lok sabha election, lok sabha seats, maheshwar, mandi, parliamentary constituencies, rajan, sushant, thakur, time chief, virbhadra singh, virender