BJP leader visits families of Kurla rape, murder victimsJune 22nd, 2010 - 9:33 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 22 (IANS) Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Gopinath Munde Tuesday visited the families of the three young schoolgirls who were raped and murdered in Kurla suburb of north-east Mumbai.
“He met the families of the three victims who were kidnapped, raped and murdered in the last five months,” a BJP state spokesperson told IANS.
“The matter is grave. People cannot continue to live in such paranoia. Gopinath Munde visited the families so that he can decide what steps can be taken to improve the situation,” the spokesperson added.
While Maharashtra Home Minister R.R. Patil, Minister of State for Home Ramesh Bagve, and leaders of various political parties have visited the grief-stricken families, top police officials have also visited the area to decide on a strategy to nab the elusive killer.
“As many as 27 police teams comprising local police, officers from neighbouring areas and Crime Branch personnel have been deputed to nab the killer,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Crime Branch) Nisar Tamboli said.
All schools in the three kilometres radius of the area saw the presence of uniformed police officials guarding the premises.
Police have released the sketch of a suspect based on eyewitness accounts in Kurla.
“We see a pattern in the manner the murders have taken place,” Tamboli said.
The police, however, are reluctant to call him a serial killer.
Anxious and scared parents were seen accompanying their children to schools, and waiting outside the school after classes. Most parents preferred keeping their children indoors after school.
On Feb 9, the body of a missing five-year-old girl was found in a gunny bag in a building in Nehru Nagar. On March 7, a nine-year-old girl was found raped and murdered on the terrace of the police quarters opposite Nehru Nagar.
In the latest incident, another girl who went missing while playing near her house was found dead in a chawl at Vatsala Tai Nagar in Kurla last week.
- Kurla psycho killer arrested - Jul 01, 2010
- Kurla killer's DNA matches with only one victim (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Family of Kurla killings suspect claims he's innocent - Jul 02, 2010
- Mumbai senior cop suspended for raping colleague - Apr 18, 2012
- Arun Gawli: The don is finally nailed - Aug 31, 2012
- Contract killer arrested (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Parents seek CBI enquiry into murder, rape of daughter - Oct 29, 2010
- Delhi teacher held for raping ex-student, making MMS - Dec 26, 2011
- A peek inside a crime don's lair - Sep 01, 2012
- Girl of 9 years raped, murdered in Mumbai police colony (Lead) - Mar 07, 2010
- Two held for attempting to rape 11-year-old - Feb 01, 2011
- Three arrested for raping, murdering minor - Jan 17, 2012
- Police custody for rape-accused policeman - May 10, 2011
- Six killed in Maharashtra wall collapse - Aug 19, 2010
- Uma Bharti to stage first sit-in as BJP leader Saturday - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: commissioner of police, crime branch, deputy commissioner, eyewitness accounts, five months, gunny bag, home minister, minister of state, munde, murder victims, nehru nagar, neighbouring areas, police crime, police officials, police teams, rape murder, serial killer, stricken families, uniformed police, young schoolgirls