BJP for vice presidential contest, to seek NDA nod (Lead)July 14th, 2012 - 10:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 14 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Saturday said it will contest the Aug 7 vice presidential poll but failed to decide its candidate due to lack of consensus in the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) over the issue.
“We have decided to contest the vice president election,” BJP leader Ananth Kumar told reporters after the party’s core group met here at party president Nitin Gadkari’s residence.
But he did not give any names of likely candidates.
The party, which wants to field its candidate for the post of vice president, will discuss the likely names with its allies during the NDA meet July 16.
“We will discuss the issue with NDA allies July 16. We will also talk to other political parties,” said Ananth Kumar.
The names of BJP leaders Jaswant Singh and Murli Manohar Joshi have been making the rounds as probable candidates.
However, NDA ally Janata Dal-United (JD-U) may support ruling United Progressive Alliance’s nominee Hamid Ansari, said sources.
JD-U and another NDA ally Shiv Sena broke ranks with the BJP to support UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee for the July 19 presidential poll.
- BJP for vice presidential contest, to seek NDA nod (Second Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- BJP to discuss vice presidential poll - Jul 14, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- Jaswant Singh as NDA's vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- JD-U is with Jaswant Singh: Nitish - Jul 16, 2012
- Jaswant Singh is NDA's vice presidential candidate (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- BJP to discuss vice presidential poll with NDA allies - Jul 10, 2012
- BJP wants Congress to react, NDA meet unlikely before Saturday (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- NDA to finalise vice presidential nominee Monday - Jul 15, 2012
- NDA decision unlikely before Saturday, cards close to chest - Jun 13, 2012
- BJP tries to bridge gaps on presidential contest (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Nitish meets Jaswant, pledges support - Jul 26, 2012
- Jaswant Singh is NDA choice for vice president (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2012
- NDA defers decision on presidential polls (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: ally, ananth kumar, bharatiya janata party, bjp leaders, core group, hamid ansari, jd, july 14, murli manohar joshi, national democratic alliance, nda allies, nitin, nod, party president, political parties, pranab mukherjee, president election, presidential contest, presidential poll, progressive alliance