BJP faces revolt against Jharkhand Rajya Sabha nominationMarch 20th, 2012 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 20 (IANS) The conflict within the Bharatiya Janata Party on the Rajya Sabha nominations came out in the open Tuesday as senior leader Yashwant Sinha slammed the decision not to field a BJP member from Jharkhand.
BJP’s decision to support Anshuman Mishra, an NRI who has been principal secretary to former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, as an independent candidate for the seat, has not gone well with several of its leaders. The issue was raised in the meeting of its parliamentary party Tuesday morning.
Expressing his dissent to the decision, Sinha said money power was taking over the Rajya Sabha polls.
“A worker should have been nominated. MLAs should not be put on the auction block to the highest bidder. (L.K.) Advaniji has assured he would talk to party president when I raised the issue in parliamentary party meet. Outsiders should not be given ticket,” Sinha told reporters here.
“Appeal to all parties to reject people who use money power in Jharkhand. A local leader should have been nominated. BJP MLAs have signed nomination papers of A. Mishra. I’m pained by this,” he said.
According to sources, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, Advani and Murli Manohar Joshi are also among the key leaders who have opposed this nomination.
“Mishra belongs to neither BJP nor Jharkhand,” Sinha said.
The decision surprised many as the party did not field its Deputy Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha, S.S. Ahluwalia, who is a member from Jharkhand and is retiring on April 2.
Evading any direct comment on the issue, Ahluwalia told reporters that the issue was raised in the meeting and Advani has said he will talk to party president Nitin Gadkari on this.
Asked about his nomination, he said he cannot comment as there was “conflict of interest”.
“I am a soldier of the party,” he said.
According to sources, the choice of Mishra was backed by Gadkari.
- BJP faces revolt over Rajya Sabha nomination (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Mishra withdraws RS nomination amid rift in BJP (Second Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Jaitley files defamation suit against Anshuman Mishra - Mar 26, 2012
- BJP not to vote for Mishra in Jharkhand (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Dissent grows in BJP over Rajya Sabha nomination - Mar 21, 2012
- Gadkari hits out at Anshuman Mishra, calls allegations baseless - Mar 25, 2012
- Rajya Sabha poll: JMM irked over BJP decision to field Ahluwalia - Apr 19, 2012
- Anshuman Mishra's allegations are baseless, says BJP - Mar 24, 2012
- Advani shocker: People upset with BJP too (Second Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Finally, Advani-Gadkari feud out in the open (Third Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Sad that Ahluwalia lost: BJP - May 03, 2012
- BJP nominates Ahluwalia for Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- BJP targets Chidambaram in parliament (Roundup) - Dec 20, 2011
- BJP denies Gadkari, Advani rift over Jharkhand moves - Sep 10, 2010
- Hope BJP will support our Rajya Sabha candidate: JMM - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: ahluwalia, auction block, bharatiya janata party, conflict of interest, deputy leader, former prime minister, independent candidate, jharkhand, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, money power, murli manohar joshi, nomination papers, parliamentary party, party president, principal secretary, rajya sabha, sushma swaraj, tuesday morning, vajpayee