BJP downplays ex-Gujarat minister’s convictionAugust 29th, 2012 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 29 (IANS) The BJP Wednesday downplayed former Gujarat minister Mayaben Kodnani’s conviction in a Gujarat riots case, calling it a “legal process”.
“We don’t want to politicise the judicial process. This is the first court, it is a judicial process, it will go on,” said Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) spokesperson Prakash Javadekar.
He also said that Kodnani had resigned from her post as soon as a charge sheet was filed against her.
The case is related to the killing of 97 Muslims by a mob in Naroda Patiya neighbourhood in Ahmedabad in 2002.
“Whether is anti-Sikh riots of 1984, or the Maharashtra, Assam or Gujarat riots, it is unfortunate and a blot on the face of the nation. Any level of condemnation for any riot is insufficient. We have always criticised the Godhara incident and Gujarat riots, that is our stand,” Javadekar said.
Another party leader, Tarun Vijay said that the party respected the judicial process.
“We have full trust in the judicial system of the country. Challenging court decisions on road is the nature of Congress, not BJP,” Vijay said.
A special court in Gujarat Wednesday convicted 32 people, including Kodnani and Bajrang Dal leader Babu Bajrangi, for the massacre in Naroda Patiya.
Kodnani, former women and child development minister of Gujarat, was arrested in 2009.
- 32 convicted in Naroda Patiya massacre - Aug 29, 2012
- BJP mum on Maya Kodnani's sentence - Aug 31, 2012
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- BJP lawmaker, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya killings - Aug 31, 2012
- Bajrangi said he felt like Rana Pratap after Naroda killings - Aug 29, 2012
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister Kodnani, 31 convicted (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Government cannot be linked to 2002 massacre: Gujarat - Aug 29, 2012
- Kodnani conviction shows rule of law in Gujarat: BJP - Sep 01, 2012
- BJP legislator, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya carnage (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Naroda witnesses happy with court verdict (With Image) - Aug 29, 2012
- Minister's involvement only with Modi's consent: Congress on Naroda - Aug 29, 2012
- Gujarat riot victims hail life terms for accused - Aug 31, 2012
- NGO files plea before Gujarat riots commission - May 14, 2010
- Gujarat riots: Plea to cancel bail of accused admitted - Aug 16, 2010
- Riot accused gets more time to reply to lawyer's charge - Jun 26, 2010
Tags: ahmedabad, anti sikh riots, assam, bjp, child development, condemnation, conviction, court decisions, development minister, face of the nation, gujarat minister, janata party, judicial system, maharashtra, neighbourhood, New Delhi, party leader, patiya, riot, spokesperson