BJP distances itself from Eelam demandMay 9th, 2009 - 7:11 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 9 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Saturday distanced itself from the demand for a separate Tamil homeland in Sri Lanka and said instead that the Tamils needed “peaceful honourable existence through self rule”.
“Both AIADMK and DMK have wrongly backed the formation of Tamil Eelam in Sri Lanka. We believe in focussing on the relief for the suffering Lankan Tamils as that is what the people of Tamil Nadu want,” senior BJP leader M. Venkaiah Naidu told reporters.
“After meeting the people in the length and breadth of Tamil Nadu, I have understood that the people here are angry with the Congress-DMK party combine for having failed to pressurise Sri Lanka to halt the war.
“Instead of a separate homeland Eelam, Tamils have a crying need for a peaceful honourable existence through self rule,” Naidu said.
“Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi is unable to pressurise the central government to do something useful in the matter and on that count the people here are unhappy with DMK,” he observed.
“The so-called interventions by National Security Advisor M.K. Narayanan, the shutdowns and the brief fast were ineffective and useless. Other Congress leaders like Rahul Gandhi are only paying lip sympathy to the Tamils,” Naidu added.
In a separate interaction with journalists, Vishwa Hindu Parishad leader Ashok Singhal endorsed the view and alleged that the Sri Lankan military had destroyed over a 1,000 Hindu temples in the island nation.
- 'Aug 12 meet to focus on welfare of Sri Lankan Tamils' - Jul 16, 2012
- Uproar in parliament over Sri Lanka's 'war crimes' (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Tamil Nadu calls for sanctions against Sri Lanka - Jun 08, 2011
- Send back Sri Lankan Air Force trainees: Jayalalithaa - Jul 13, 2012
- DMK withdraws from MPs delegation to Sri Lanka - Apr 15, 2012
- Amid DMK troubles, Jayalalithaa creates ripples in Delhi (Roundup) - Jun 13, 2011
- Jayalalithaa meets PM, talks Sri Lanka, Tamil Nadu economy (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- India should support referendum for Tamil Eelam: Karunanidhi - Apr 18, 2012
- Lanka resolution: Uproar in parliament, India undecided (Roundup) - Mar 13, 2012
- PMK backs Jayalalitha's demand for separate Tamil homeland in Sri Lanka - May 04, 2009
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- India to send back Sri Lanka Air Force personnel - Jul 06, 2012
- Curtail visits by Sri Lankan dignitaries: Jayalalithaa - Mar 07, 2012
- India should help form Tamil Eelam: Ramadoss - Apr 26, 2011
- Gotabaya Rajapaksa hits out at Jayalalithaa - Aug 08, 2011
Tags: aiadmk, ashok singhal, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, chief minister, congress leaders, dmk party, focussing, hindu temples, island nation, m karunanidhi, national security advisor, rahul gandhi, self rule, shutdowns, sri lankan military, tamil homeland, tamils, venkaiah naidu, vishwa hindu parishad