BJP demands Patnaik’s prosecution on pulses scamFebruary 8th, 2011 - 6:49 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 8 (IANS) The opposition Bharatiya Janata Party Tuesday demanded prosecution of Orissa Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik over the scandal involving irregularities in the supply of pulses to children.After visiting several areas, a central party team led by its national secretary Kirit Somaiya said the evidences it found clearly demonstrated several acts of commission and omission in the matter.
“It is a clear case of criminal breach of trust by the persons holding office of the chief minister, ministers and senior officials of the state,” Somaiya told reporters.
The BJP and the ruling Biju Janata Dal led by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik were alliance partners both at the state and in the National Democratic Alliance until the BJD walked out of the partnership before the Lok sabha and assembly elections in 2009.
As per law, sanction from the governor or the appointing authority is necessary to prosecute chief minister, ministers and senior government officials, he said.
The BJP will ask the governor to accord sanction to prosecute the guilty, he said.
The alleged scam, which the opposition says could be of more then a thousand crore rupees, came to light after the state vigilance department last month claimed that there were irregularities in the supply of pulses to children and women at several places.
Orissa’s Woman and Child Development Minister Pramila Mallik Saturday resigned and at least three senior government officers faced action over the scandal.
- Orissa minister resigns over pulses scam (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Prosecute Patnaik over pulses scam, BJP tells Orissa governor - Feb 16, 2011
- BJP demands beneficiaries' check up over pulses scam - Feb 10, 2011
- Pulses scam: Orissa minister quits, 3 officers face action (Second Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Orissa budget session off to a stormy start (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- BJP team to visit Orissa over pulses scam - Feb 03, 2011
- Orissa rights panel seeks report on pulses scam - Feb 15, 2011
- Orissa assembly adjourned over pulses scam - Feb 15, 2011
- Orissa budget session begins on stormy note - Feb 14, 2011
- Orissa minister resigns over scam - Feb 05, 2011
- Prosecute Deshmukh, Shinde for Adarsh scam, demands BJP - Feb 11, 2011
- Court moved over CBI probe into Orissa pulses scam (Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
- Goa mining scam worth Rs.25,000 crore: BJP - Oct 07, 2011
- Central government neglecting Orissa: Naveen Patnaik - Aug 10, 2011
- Court serves notice to Orissa government on pulses scam - Feb 11, 2011
Tags: appointing authority, assembly elections, bjd, bjp demands, breach of trust, chief minister, clear case, criminal breach of trust, crore rupees, development minister, government officers, janata party, kirit somaiya, Lok Sabha, mallik, national democratic alliance, national secretary, naveen patnaik, pramila, woman and child