BJP cries foul against Goa speaker attending Congress ralliesApril 16th, 2009 - 5:11 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, April 16 (IANS) The presence of Goa legislative assembly speaker during the Congress election campaign and road-shows has riled the state Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), who termed the act as “unethical”.
Speaker Pratapsing Rane, a veteran Congressman and chief minister for nearly two decades, was seen campaigning for the Congress candidate for South Goa Francisco Sardinha at a rally in Margao Wednesday. The rally was addressed by Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
Rane has also canvassed for the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) candidate in North Goa Jitendra Deshprabhu in election rallies last week.
“It is unethical on the speaker’s part to attend election rallies of a particular party,” Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar told IANS.
“He is supposed to be impartial. Canvassing for the Congress is certainly not done, when you are in the speaker’s chair,” he added.
Parrikar also said that considering Rane’s experience in the house, he should have exercised restraint in such matters.
Rane, however, ridiculed the BJP’s accusation, saying he was well within his rights to canvass for his parent party. “I have not resigned from the Congress. I am a speaker inside the house. Outside, I am a Congressman,” Rane told IANS Thursday, a few minutes after chairing a disqualification hearing against two Congress legislators Churchill Alemao and Reginaldo Lourenco.
The hearing was adjourned for want of documents. “The BJP has no right to question me about ethics. When I am in the chair in the assembly, I am impartial,” Rane said, adding that there was no convention in the country that disallows a speaker from canvassing for his parent party.
- Will sue BJP leaders over mining charge: Goa minister - Oct 10, 2011
- Speaker drops Parrikar from public accounts committee - Oct 07, 2011
- Mining and casino-friendly Parrikar is like Chanakya: Congress - Aug 30, 2012
- Goa speaker biased: Parrikar - Oct 08, 2011
- Congress MLA walked away with draft PAC report on mining: BJP - Oct 04, 2011
- Congress accuses BJP of 'U-turn' on casino, illegal mining - Aug 22, 2012
- Goa's land scam haunts two Congress ex-chief ministers - Dec 06, 2011
- BJP to release own report on Goa's illegal mining - Oct 08, 2011
- Goa mining scam: PAC report blames nexus, takes no names (Roundup) - Oct 05, 2011
- Rajendra Arlekar elected Goa assembly Speaker (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Legislators in Goa's ruling alliance continue feud - Apr 04, 2009
- After ousting Congress, BJP has to deliver on promises (Goa Newsletter) - Mar 24, 2012
- Congress demands ban on 'Kya Super Kool Hain Hum' in Goa - Aug 16, 2012
- Rajendra Arlekar elected unopposed as Goa speaker - Mar 19, 2012
- Congress demands auction of Goa iron ore mines - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: assembly speaker, chief minister, churchill alemao, congress candidate, congress president sonia gandhi, election rallies, goa speaker, janata party, jitendra, leader of opposition, legislative assembly, lourenco, margao, nationalist congress party, ncp, north goa, party leader, reginaldo, sardinha, south goa