BJP, Congress spar over paddy support priceJune 14th, 2008 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, June 14 (IANS) Congress treasurer Motilal Vora Saturday said the Chhattisgarh unit of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had informed a central government panel that it did not want a hike in minimum support price (MSP) for paddy. “This (BJP) government is shedding crocodile tears by criticising the Congress-led UPA government (in the centre) for not raising the MSP for paddy to Rs.1,000 per quintal while the fact is totally different,” the Congress leader told reporters.
“The Raman Singh government wanted unchanged MSP for paddy,” he said. Chhattisgarh informed the central panel, set up to look into various states’ demand for a hike in paddy MSP, that it wanted no hike in the MSP.
However, later the state sent a letter to the central government seeking Rs.1,000 per quintal MSP, he added.
“BJP is playing politics on the issue. The central government that has recently raised the support price by Rs.105 per quintal and now MSP for paddy has gone up to Rs.850 per quintal,” Vora said.
But the BJP said it had always demanded Rs.1,000 per quintal MSP for paddy and the Congress leaders were making false claims about the Chhattisgarh government.
“In a letter dated Oct 16, 2007, Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh told the prime minister that he strongly recommends enhancement of MSP for paddy to Rs.1,000,” a BJP statement said.
It added that the state government had never asked the centre not to raise the paddy support price.
- Akali Dal rejects hike in paddy, cotton MSP - Jun 01, 2012
- Cabinet hikes rice purchase price to Rs.1,280 per quintal - Jun 14, 2012
- Hooda seeks Rs.200 bonus on paddy - Oct 06, 2011
- Akali Dal slams insufficient paddy support price hike - Jun 10, 2011
- Haryana seeks Rs.1,800 MSP for paddy - Feb 17, 2012
- Badal protests meagre hike in paddy support price - Jun 10, 2010
- MSP hiked to boost food production - Oct 25, 2011
- Farmers' shutdown halts life in Chhattisgarh - Nov 25, 2009
- Farmers' shutdown hits life in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Nov 25, 2009
- Chhattisgarh urges Pawar to raise paddy support price - Nov 26, 2009
- Purchase price for pulses hiked - Aug 03, 2012
- Centre's bonus on wheat unjustified: Badal - Apr 16, 2011
- Badal terms wheat MSP hike pathetic - Oct 25, 2011
- Chhattisgarh seeks higher support price for paddy - Nov 24, 2009
- Badal slams meagre hike in wheat support price - Oct 21, 2010
Tags: bjp government, central government, chhattisgarh government, chief minister, congress leader, congress leaders, crocodile, crocodile tears, government panel, janata party, june 14, motilal, msp, playing politics, quintal, raman singh, rs 1, spar, state government, vora