BJP, Congress activists detained in ChandigarhMarch 12th, 2011 - 8:49 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, March 12 (IANS) Hundreds of workers and leaders of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Congress were detained by the Chandigarh Police Saturday as both parties took out rallies against each other.
While BJP leaders claimed that nearly 850 of their cadres were detained and taken to various police stations, the Congress claimed that over 675 of its workers and leaders were detained.
The workers were detained for violating prohibitory orders, imposed under Section 144 (which prohibits the assembly of five or more people at one place), in the entire city by the administration here Friday.
BJP’s national secretary Kirit Somaiya, former Chandigarh MP Satya Pal Jain and Chandigarh BJP president Sanjay Tandon were among those detained by the police. All workers were released by the police later in the evening.
The BJP had announced its plan earlier to ‘gherao’ (encircle) the residence of union Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal in Sector 28.
The protest was against a report submitted to the Chandigarh Administration by a senior bureaucrat, who probed the allotment of booths in the Sector 41 market, and named several Congress leaders for being involved in getting them allotted illegally to ineligible allottees.
Though the BJP workers could not reach anywhere close to Bansal’s house due to heavy police deployment, BJP leader Ranjana Shahi claimed that she managed to reach the union minister’s residence and protested there alone.
Shahi, who reached up to the lane in which Bansal’s house is located, was prevented by the police from going any further.
The police cane charged Congress workers near the Congress Bhawan in Sector 35.
The Congress had announced, as a countermeasure to the BJP’s gherao call of Bansal’s house, that it will gherao the BJP office in Sector 37 here.
However, the police did not allow Congress workers to reach the BJP office.
- Chandigarh shop scam involves union minister: Report (Lead) - Mar 02, 2011
- Chandigarh's shop allotment scam involves union minister: Probe report - Mar 02, 2011
- Goa mining scam worth Rs.25,000 crore: BJP - Oct 07, 2011
- Chavan grabbed over six flats in Adarsh: BJP secretary - Apr 25, 2012
- Cops to probe corruption charges against Maharashtra minister - Jul 13, 2012
- Security tightened at Chandigarh houses of PM, ministers - Dec 27, 2011
- BJP to meet Uttar Pradesh governor over Noida land scam - May 30, 2011
- Ruckus in parliament over Chandigarh shop allotment scam - Mar 14, 2011
- BJP alleges Mayawati's brother owns airline, demands probe - Feb 07, 2012
- Infected foodgrain being supplied to poor in Mumbai: BJP - Aug 09, 2010
- Now, Chandigarh kiosk scam disrupts parliament (Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- Maharashtra government set to face opposition ire - Jul 08, 2012
- About 200 acres of Srinagar air base land grabbed, says BJP - Sep 03, 2011
- Will sue BJP leaders over mining charge: Goa minister - Oct 10, 2011
- Shutdown near-total in Mumbai, most of Maharashtra (Second lead) - May 31, 2012
Tags: affairs minister, allotment, bansal, bharatiya janata party, bjp president, bureaucrat, cadres, chandigarh administration, chandigarh police, congress leaders, congress workers, countermeasure, entire city, national secretary, parliamentary affairs, police stations, ranjana, sanjay tandon, satya pal jain, union minister