BJP condemns attack by Akali leaders in PunjabJune 19th, 2009 - 10:28 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 19 (IANS) Fissures appeared in the ruling coalition in Punjab, with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Friday expressing unhappiness over the attitude of alliance partner Akali Dal and demanding stern action against Akali leaders accused of attacking and insulting BJP members.
“We condemn the incident of Akali legislators abusing one of our senior-most leaders. In the past also Akali workers had attacked our MLA and party workers at Tarn Taran and at Bathinda. Our workers were brutally attacked by the them,” Rajinder Bhandari, state BJP president, told reporters here.
He added, “Despite repeated assurances no concrete action has been taken against the culprits so far.”
The BJP held a core committee meeting Friday in the wake of Wednesday’s incident in which Akali Dal legislator Sarabjit Singh Makkar reportedly used abusive language at BJP leader Manoranjan Kalia.
The meeting went on for nearly four-and-a-half hours.
To show their unhappiness over the development, the BJP had boycotted the state cabinet meeting Thursday.
Bhandari said that BJP party workers are feeling isolated and disillusioned due to the incidents.
“We have apprised our senior leaders about these circumstances. The future strategy of the party would be decided only after discussions with the party high command,” Bhandari said.
- Facebook, candlelight vigil: Punjab city wakes up to a murder - Apr 26, 2011
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Rahul for Amarinder as Punjab chief minister - Jan 25, 2012
- Punjab legislator's nephew kills Jalandhar hotelier (Lead) - Apr 22, 2011
- CBI summons two Punjab ministers in graft case - May 08, 2011
- 65 per cent voting in Punjab (Evening Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- All five BJP ministers in Punjab resign (Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Badal takes Akali law-maker to BJP minister to apologise - Jun 23, 2009
- Advani, Rahul, Rajnath, Hema descend upon Punjab - Jan 25, 2012
- SAD-BJP alliance is unbreakable: Yashwant Sinha - Aug 30, 2010
- BJP to announce five Punjab ministers - May 14, 2011
- Akali Dal ignores us on pertinent issues: BJP - Aug 25, 2010
- Congress implicating me in false cases: Punjab minister - May 06, 2011
- Akalis field Olympian Pargat Singh, Sukhbir Badal files nomination - Jan 09, 2012
- Akalis, BJP build on new, secular identity (Punjab Newsletter) - Apr 14, 2012
Tags: abusive language, akali leaders, alliance partner, assurances, bharatiya janata party, cabinet meeting, committee meeting, concrete action, core committee, culprits, future strategy, half hours, legislator, manoranjan, mla, punjab chandigarh, state cabinet, stern action, taran, unhappiness