BJP candidate worships cows in West BengalApril 15th, 2009 - 8:11 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 15 (IANS) A Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Lok Sabha candidate Wednesday conducted a ritualistic worship of 50 cows in a bid to preserve and protect cattle.
The six-hour ritual started Wednesday morning with a yagna. Offerings were made to the cows, and later 2,000 poor people were treated to a community feast.
“It is very important that we start protecting and preserving cows from now. They supply us with milk, which is very crucial for the survival of kids and elderly people,” said Rahul Chakraborty, who is contesting from the Uluberia constituency in West Bengal’s Howrah district.
The initiative for the cow worship was taken by a group of locals working under the banner of Gomata Raksha Committee (Save Cow Committee).
He said though the country has a large number of cattle head, a lot of the animals were lost due to smuggling across the border with Bangladesh.
Denying that the entire programme was a political gimmick, Chakraborty said: “The dairy industry is dependent on cows. Apart from dairy, there are other industries like bio-fuel and fertilizer that are dependent on cows.”
“I am a moral supporter to the ‘Save Cow Committee’. Any conscious Indian citizen of India should start doing it from now before it is too late,” he added.
- India may see Finnair's first long-haul flight on bio-fuels - Jun 14, 2012
- Gold Coast farm claims it produces Australia's only non-violent milk - Nov 23, 2010
- Government told to decide fast on bio-fuels programme: Parliament panel - May 07, 2012
- Mad cow case detected in US - Apr 25, 2012
- GM cows produce 'human' breast milk - Apr 03, 2011
- UP plans to set up milk plant in Lucknow - Aug 08, 2012
- Haryana approves setting up of cow commission - Sep 07, 2010
- Northeast India celebrate "Bihu" to mark new harvest season - Apr 14, 2011
- Goat breeding: the new currency in the desert - Mar 03, 2011
- Animal welfare panel concerned over mega dairy project - Aug 12, 2011
- Now, genetically modified cows that produce 'human' breast milk! - Apr 03, 2011
- Bikinis add controversy to cow contest - Aug 22, 2012
- CII proposes bio-diesel price hike - Jan 02, 2011
- China cows produce milk like human breast milk - Jun 16, 2011
- Now hostels for animals in Gujarat - Aug 05, 2010
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bio fuel, bjp, cattle, chakraborty, constituency, cow, cows, dairy industry, feast, fertilizer, howrah district, indian citizen, kolkata, locals, Lok Sabha, offerings, ritualistic worship, wednesday morning, west bengal