BJP backs Sangma for presidential election (Lead)June 21st, 2012 - 2:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 21 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Thursday announced its support to former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma for the presidential election.
The BJP said it would not support the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate Pranab Mukherjee since the ruling combine did not consult the opposition in advance.
“We had two candidates, A.P.J. Abdul Kalam (former president) and Sangma. As Kalamji decided not to contest, so the second one was Sangma. We all decided P.A. Sangma is the most suitable candidate, so BJP supports P.A. Sangma as its presidential candidate,” said party leader Sushma Swaraj at a press conference here.
She said the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), led by the BJP, could not arrive at consensus on presidential candidate as the Janata Dal (United) and the Shiv Sena could not decide their candidate.
“BJP decided that if UPA wanted a consensus candidate, they should have discussed with us, as consensus has a pre-requisite like Atal Bihari Vajpayee (former prime minister) followed when A.P.J. Abdul Kalam was nominated as a consensus candidate,” Swaraj said.
The announcement comes a day after Sangma resigned from the Nationalist Congress Party to join the presidential race.
The NCP had decided to support the UPA presidential choice in Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, and asked Sangma to follow the party line or face action for indiscipline.
- BJP backs Sangma, allies differ (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- JD-U to support Pranab for presidency (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Presidential contest: NDA, Left divided over Pranab; BJP backs Sangma (Roundup) - Jun 21, 2012
- Congress slams BJP, asks others to revisit stand on Pranab - Jun 22, 2012
- GJM to go with Trinamool on presidential poll - Jun 28, 2012
- NDA meet on presidential candidate begins in Delhi - Jun 17, 2012
- Sangma meeets Mamata - Jun 26, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Trinamool should support Pranab to save face: Congress - Jul 16, 2012
- Would like to see Pranab challenged: Subramanian Swamy - Jun 16, 2012
- Pranab yet again appeals to Trinamool - Jun 24, 2012
- Am ready to talk to Mamata if she is ready: Pranab - Jul 09, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- BJP to contest presidential poll, undecided on candidate (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Pranab is a friend of Communists: Trinamool - Jul 08, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, atal bihari, bharatiya janata party, face action, finance minister, former prime minister, Lok Sabha, national democratic alliance, nationalist congress party, ncp, party leader, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, presidential choice, presidential election, presidential race, progressive alliance, shiv sena, suitable candidate, swaraj