BJP asks government not to hike fuel pricesMay 5th, 2011 - 11:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) With the government expected to take a decision on hiking prices of petroleum products next week, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Thursday said any increase in prices of petrol and diesel will be “opportunistic and unjust”.
“People are reeling under price rise, corruption and food inflation. They will be overburdened by fuel price hike. It will affect poorer sections severely,” BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told IANS.
An empowered group of ministers (EGoM), headed by union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, is expected to meet May 11 to decide on a hike in diesel prices.
Naqvi said the move to hike prices a day after voting was over in four states and a union territory was “opportunistic”.
The government had decontrolled price of petrol in June last year but had advised companies after the hike in January this year against going for a further increase in prices.
Oil marketing companies have been making demand for hiking prices of petroleum products in view of their mounting under recoveries.
- India Inc calls for dual pricing of diesel, LPG - May 24, 2012
- Diesel, cooking gas and kerosene prices hiked (Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- BJP, CPI-M oppose any hike in petrol, diesel prices - Jun 07, 2010
- No plan to hike diesel, LPG, kerosene prices: Reddy - May 28, 2012
- No government role in petrol price hike, says Pranab - May 15, 2011
- Centre deregulates fuel prices - Jun 25, 2010
- Diesel, kerosene and cooking gas price hiked; common man, opposition angry (Roundup) - Jun 25, 2011
- Government hikes fuel price, runs into opposition (Roundup) - Jun 25, 2010
- Ministerial meet to discuss LPG supply, price deferred - Sep 16, 2011
- Government to decide on diesel, LPG price hike Friday - May 24, 2012
- Government decontrols petrol; hikes diesel, kerosene, LPG (Lead) - Jun 25, 2010
- BJP demonstrates against impending hike in fuel prices - Jun 07, 2010
- Would cut petrol prices if crude prices fall: IOC - May 24, 2012
- Ministerial panel to decide on diesel price hike next week (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- Tripura's Left government protests petrol price hike - Sep 16, 2011
Tags: abbas, bharatiya janata party, bjp, corruption, diesel prices, four states, fuel price hike, fuel prices, inflation, marketing companies, naqvi, New Delhi, petrol, petroleum products, pranab mukherjee, union finance minister, union territory