BJP apprehensive on execution of Kasab’s sentenceFebruary 21st, 2011 - 4:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 21 (IANS) Even as Mumbai terror attack convict Mohammed Ajmal Kasab’s death sentence was upheld, the Bhartiya Janata party Monday expressed apprehension over the execution of the sentence.
“The court has sentenced Kasab, but the question is whether he will be hanged because the ruling party will again say that he is in the queue. The death sentence has been given, but when it will be executed depends on the government,” party spokeperson Prakash Javadekar told reporters outside parliament.
The Bombay High Court Monday upheld the death sentence awarded to Kasab by a lower court for the killings during the 26/11 terrorist strike.
The main opposition party said that the execution of Kasab’s sentence may be stalled just like that of parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
“Afzal Guru is still in the queue to be hanged even after the Supreme Court verdict,” he said.
Reiterating the party’s demand for hanging Guru, Javadekar demanded Kasab’s sentence be executed soon.
“We demand that whether it is Kasab or Afzal Guru, there should not be any queue. Those who have acted against the country should be hanged immediately,” he said.
Kasab’s sentence was hailed by Home Minister P. Chidambaram as a “victory of Indian legal system.”
“It is the victory of the Indian legal system. It shows that the legal system should be left to take its own course,” Chidambaram told reporters outside parliament.
- Congress, BJP welcome death for Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- For Kasab, it's now a question of when - Aug 30, 2012
- Government rejects Afzal Guru's clemency (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Shiv Sena demands public hanging for Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Government forwards Afzal Guru mercy plea to president - Aug 10, 2011
- Mirwaiz warns of serious fallout if Afzal is hanged - Aug 12, 2011
- Afzal Guru's hanging won't be expedited: Home Secretary - May 23, 2010
- Afzal Guru should 'pay price', says Farooq - Feb 26, 2012
- Omar fears rise in militancy if Afzal is hanged - Sep 28, 2011
- Kasab will hang, Supreme Court says (Roundup) - Aug 29, 2012
- Hang Afzal call grows loud, nation remembers 'martyrs' (Roundup) - Dec 13, 2011
- No decision on Guru mercy, family leaves it to Allah (Lead) - Jun 23, 2010
- Hang Kasab, Afzal Guru together: Togadia - May 06, 2010
- BJP slams Omar for Afzal tweet, Congress silent - Aug 31, 2011
- Abdullah government against Afzal's hanging - Jun 25, 2010
Tags: afzal guru, ajmal, apprehension, bhartiya janata party, bombay high court, convict, death sentence, government party, home minister, killings, main opposition party, mohammed, New Delhi, p chidambaram, parliament, queue, ruling party, supreme court verdict, terror attack, terrorist strike