BJP appoints new Himachal unit chiefFebruary 20th, 2012 - 11:56 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Feb 20 (IANS) In a bid to pacify the rebels in its Himachal Pradesh unit, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Monday appointed a new president for the state.
Satpal Singh Satti, a second-time legislator from Una, has been appointed new state president replacing Khimi Ram, a close confidant of Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal.
BJP president Nitin Gadkari has cleared Satti’s name and accepted the resignation of Ram, a senior party leader said here.
Ram, a two-time legislator from Banjar in Kullu district, was unanimously elected president in July 2009 after Jairam Thakur, who headed the state unit, was inducted into the state cabinet. In February 2010, Ram was retained.
Satti, who is chief parliamentary secretary of in the state, has to resign before assuming the new charge. Party sources said a minor cabinet reshuffle is also on the cards this month.
Party insiders said Gadkari had to step in after two camps of state party leaders, Dhumal and former union minister Shanta Kumar, were at loggerheads for quite sometime.
Shanta’s loyalists, comprising two ministers and three legislators, are also upset with Dhumal’s style of working.
Gadkari last week deputed two central leaders — J.P. Nadda, a former Himachal minister, and Shyam Jaju, co-in charge of state’s party affairs — to look into the reasons for dissent among the party cadre and the allegations of corruption against top functionaries in the state.
A new political outfit, Himachal Lokhit Party, formed by BJP rebels this month has also turned into a headache for the ruling party in the state.
Assembly polls will be held in the hill state towards end of this year.
- Former Himachal BJP chief to become minister - Feb 22, 2012
- Tough road ahead for Dhumal in election year (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Feb 25, 2012
- BJP in damage control mode after rebels form new outfit (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Feb 12, 2012
- Khimi Ram to continue as Himachal BJP chief - Feb 02, 2010
- Himachal BJP to take call on errant MP within week - Feb 29, 2012
- Khimi Ram to remain Himachal BJP chief (Lead) - Feb 02, 2010
- Himachal cabinet expanded - Feb 23, 2012
- Shanta Kumar questions BJP's 'back to power' dream (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - May 19, 2012
- Miffed Shanta wants action against corruption (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - May 04, 2012
- No truck with BJP rebels: Nadda - Feb 14, 2012
- Himachal cabinet expanded for second time(Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Gadkari steps in again to paper over BJP in-fighting (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Jun 10, 2012
- Himachal BJP legislator again challenges party - Jul 05, 2012
- Himachal BJP postpones poll to choose new chief - Jan 29, 2010
- Himachal BJP recommends names for Rajya Sabha - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: banjar, bharatiya janata party, central leaders, jaju, loggerheads, minor cabinet reshuffle, nitin, parliamentary secretary, party affairs, party insiders, political outfit, satti, shanta kumar, shyam, state assembly polls, state cabinet, state president, time legislator, union minister, unit chief