BJP appeals to Patil against president’s rule in KarnatakaMay 17th, 2011 - 8:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 17 (IANS) A BJP delegation Tuesday met President Pratibha Patil and appealed to her that Karnataka Governor H.R. Bhardwaj’s recommendation for president’s rule in the state should not be implemented.
The delegation led by party president Nitin Gadkari also included Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley, Karnataka Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa and 114 party MLAs. They reached Rashtrapati Bhavan at 5.30 p.m.
“We have told president that the governor’s decision was undemocratic and unconstitutional and president’s rule should not be imposed on the state,” Gadkari told reporters after the meeting. He said the BJP-led government in the state has the support of 122 MLAs.
With the Supreme Court May 13 striking down the disqualification of 11 BJP and five Independent legislators of Karnataka, Bhardwaj is reported to have recommended to the central government president’s rule in the state.
However, the 11 BJP legislators have extended their unconditional support to the Yeddyurappa government, effectively taking the party’s strength in the state assembly to 121.
The United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government at the centre and the Congress party are reportedly not very keen on imposing president’s rule in Karnataka or dismissing the state government, as it may lead to a sympathy vote for the BJP when the next assembly polls are held.
- BJP appeals to Patil against president's rule in Karnataka (Lead) - May 17, 2011
- Yeddyurappa 'compliments' Bhardwaj for helping unite BJP - May 17, 2011
- PM won't take any undemocratic decision: Yeddyurappa (Lead) - May 17, 2011
- BJP parades MLAs, governor defends action (Roundup) - May 17, 2011
- Will win Karnataka struggle: Gadkari - May 17, 2011
- NDA wants Bhardwaj sacked, to meet PM (Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Yeddyurappa leaves for Karnataka, to meet Bhardwaj - May 18, 2011
- Governor destablising government, BJP tells president - May 18, 2011
- NDA leaders meet PM over Karnataka, demand governor's dismissal - May 16, 2011
- Congress shies from demanding Karnataka government's sack - May 16, 2011
- Karnataka battle: NDA leaders meet PM; Yeddyurappa, MLAs to meet president (Roundup) - May 16, 2011
- CPI-M demands proper trust vote in Karnataka - Oct 12, 2010
- BJP hits road against Karnataka governor - May 21, 2011
- Bhardwaj praises Yeddyurappa for 'hard work' - May 18, 2011
- Yeddyurappa gets rousing reception; Chidambaram says Bhardwaj stays (Lead) - May 23, 2011
Tags: arun jaitley, assembly polls, bhardwaj, bjp, central government, chief minister, congress party, delegation, government president, independent legislators, karnataka, New Delhi, nitin, party president, president pratibha patil, progressive alliance, state assembly, state government, sympathy, unconditional support