BJP announces stir for farmersJuly 26th, 2012 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 26 (IANS) Charging the Congress-led central government with apathy towards farmers, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Thursday announced a nationwide stir from Aug 3 to 8.
“The BJP decided to launch a nationwide agitation by staging demonstrations and dharnas between Aug 3 and 8 at each district headquarters in the country against the insensitive and complacent attitude of the UPA (United Progressive Alliance) government towards drought relief,” said BJP leader and former party chief Rajnath Singh said.
“These demonstrations will be followed by a massive protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi Aug 20 which will be attended by the farmers from all over the country,” he said.
The BJP leader also demanded change in the nutrient-based subsidy policy and controlling of the hike in fertiliser prices. He also said that the central government should provide free electricity to farmers for this year.
“They must also give loan at zero interest and encourage crops which can grow without irrigation so that the farmers can get some earning,” Rajnath Singh said.
The former BJP president also demanded “a separate centralized monitoring cell” for monitoring rainfall situation and the progress of the Kharif season on a daily basis.
- Scrap nutrient-based subsidy for fertilisers: Jayalalithaa - Jun 27, 2012
- Nutrient-based fertiliser subsidy policy on anvil: Pranab - Feb 28, 2011
- BJP promises Telangana if it takes power - Sep 05, 2012
- Fertiliser subsidies not improving production: Official auditor - Aug 05, 2011
- No plan to increase urea price: Fertiliser minister - Jan 16, 2012
- Budget signals major subsidy reform on fertilizers, kerosene (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Team Anna denied permission to hold protest at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Fertiliser makers want government to raise urea price - Sep 20, 2012
- Parents to protest arbitrary fee hike in private schools - Apr 22, 2011
- Thousands march towards Jantar Mantar - Aug 17, 2011
- India takes step towards nutrient based fertiliser subsidy - Feb 18, 2010
- Parents to protest against unfair school fee hikes - Apr 29, 2011
- BJP attacks UPA over fertilizer prices - Aug 20, 2012
- Police battle anti-graft protesters outside PM's house, Hazare for second freedom movement (Intro Roundup) - Aug 27, 2012
- Fertiliser sector reforms will attract fresh investments (Comment) - May 30, 2010
Tags: alliance government, apathy, bharatiya janata party, bjp president, central government, daily basis, district headquarters, drought relief, fertiliser prices, free electricity, kharif season, mantar, massive protest, nationwide agitation, party chief, progressive alliance, rainfall, rajnath singh, UPA, zero interest