BJP activists hoist national flag near Madhopur bridgeJanuary 26th, 2011 - 6:38 pm ICT by IANS
Madhopur (Punjab), Jan 26 (IANS) Hundreds of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) activists Wednesday hoisted the national flag near the Madhopur bridge, which separates Jammu and Kashmir from Punjab, to mark the 62nd Republic Day.The flag was hoisted here after the party’s ‘Ekta Yatra’ or unity march fizzled out at the boundary of the two states Tuesday evening following the arrest of top BJP leaders Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley, Shanta Kumar, Ananth Kumar and Anurag Thakur.
The flag-hoisting was done near the memorial to the late Jana Sangh founder-leader Shyama Prasad Mukherjee here.
Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM) president and MP Anurag Thakur, who was leading the march to hoist the tricolour at Srinagar’s Lal Chowk and was arrested with other BJP leaders Tuesday, returned here from Kathua town, 20 km away.
The BJP leaders later garlanded the memorial and addressed the rally. They blamed the central and the Jammu and Kashmir governments for bowing to separatists’ pressure and not allowing the national flag to be hoisted at Srinagar’s Lal Chowk.
BJP activists, who held protests along the National Highway 1A (Pathankot-Jammu), later withdrew the blockade.
The BJP’s Ekta Yatra, which started from Kolkata Jan 12, was planned to culminate at Srinagar’s Lal Chowk, a historic square witness to many political events.
The Jammu and Kashmir government, however, did not give permission for the BJP march as it believed that it could have reignited tension in the state where calm has prevailed after months of unrest and deadly street protests last summer.
- Yatra stopped to please separatists: BJP; flag hoisted at Madhopur (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2011
- BJP's Ekta Yatra reaches Pathankot, to enter Jammu Tuesday - Jan 24, 2011
- BJP march enters Jammu and Kashmir, top leaders arrested (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2011
- BJP presses ahead with Lal Chowk plans, asks Omar to join (Lead) - Jan 22, 2011
- Swaraj, Jaitley arrested as BJP marchers enter Jammu and Kashmir (Third Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Chidambaram compliments Omar Govt. for handling BJP's 'Ekta Yatra' tactfully - Jan 31, 2011
- May move court on government foiling flag march: BJP - Jan 27, 2011
- Gadkari launches march to hoist national flag at Srinagar - Jan 12, 2011
- BJP's youth wing firm on hoisting flag in Srinagar - Jan 23, 2011
- Yasin Malik arrested for flag march to Lal Chowk - Jan 26, 2011
- BJP leaders taken to Punjab, released (Third Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- BJP yatra stopped after entering Jammu (Second Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- BJP marchers enter Jammu and Kashmir, court arrest (Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- BJP plans to hold rally near Punjab-Jammu and Kashmir border - Jan 25, 2011
- Kashmir tricolour hosting: BJP leaders released in Kathua - Jan 26, 2011
Tags: ananth kumar, anurag, arun jaitley, bjp leaders, chowk, ekta, founder leader, highway 1a, jammu and kashmir government, jana sangh, janata party, lal, national flag, pathankot, republic day, srinagar, street protests, tricolour, yatra, yuva morcha