BJP accuses Goa Chief Minister of shielding supporterJanuary 23rd, 2009 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Jan 23 (IANS) Goa’s Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar Friday alleged that a close supporter of Chief Minister Digambar Kamat, arrested for storing weapons in his house after a riot in a South Goa town, has links with Bangladeshi extremists but the government was trying to bury the case. Addressing a press conference here, the senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader alleged that the chief minister was trying to bury the case even when the accused man’s links with Bangladeshi extremists became clear during interrogation by Intelligence Bureau officials.
“IB officials had interrogated the accused arrested for storing swords in his house in Margao. During interrogation, he had revealed his links with Bangladeshi extremists,” Parrikar said.
Parrikar alleged that the accused man had even travelled to West Bengal and led a team of Bangladeshi extremists to survey areas in Goa for setting up terror training camps.
Swords were seized from the communally sensitive and illegal slum of Moti Dongor, which is located in the chief minister’s constituency of Margao, a few days after a riot between two communities there in June.
A controversy was sparked off when a CD circulated by the BJP showed several persons possessing swords, and partying with the chief minister and his wife in a guest house in Maharashtra.
“I had warned that the Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) was active in Goa. Even the Director General of Police is on record that terrorists had planned to target Goa,” Parrikar said.
- Speaker drops Parrikar from public accounts committee - Oct 07, 2011
- BJP fielding candidates of mining lobby: Kamat - Feb 26, 2012
- Parrikar flip-flop: Says no illegal mining in Goa - Jul 16, 2012
- Kamat resigns as Goa chief minister - Mar 06, 2012
- BJP distributing controversial CD on Goa chief minister - Oct 24, 2008
- Mining scam rocks Goa politics - Oct 08, 2011
- Parrikar given clean chit in IFFI scam case - Feb 24, 2011
- Flushing public funds: now, the Goa toilet story - Jun 09, 2012
- Parrikar's mining flip flop angers activists - Jul 17, 2012
- Lokayukta to probe sensitive cases after appointment: Parrikar - Apr 30, 2012
- Now, Parrikar accuses Chidambaram of 'dadagiri' in postings - Jul 06, 2012
- Will sue BJP leaders over mining charge: Goa minister - Oct 10, 2011
- BJP to raise Goa mining scam in Parliament: Venkaiah Naidu - Oct 21, 2011
- FIR against Kamat, Rane within 15 days: Parrikar - Sep 08, 2012
- TMC accuses Goa CM's men of burning poll material - Feb 17, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bureau officials, chief minister, constituency, controversy, extremists, guest house, intelligence bureau, interrogation, islamic movement, leader of opposition, maharashtra, margao, partying, riot, slum, south goa, swords, training camps, west bengal