BJP accepts Jan Lokpal bill: Gadkari writes to AnnaAugust 25th, 2011 - 9:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 25 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Nitin Gadkari Thursday said the party accepts the Jan Lokpal bill drafted by Team Anna and hoped it would form the basis of a strong anti-corruption law that parliament would soon pass.
Gadkari also appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to make efforts to end the Lokpal bill logjam and requested activist Anna Hazare to end his fast against the government’s anti-corruption legislation.
In his letter to Hazare, Gadkari assured the activist of his party’s support and expressed concern that the government did not appear to be worried about his health. He warned the government of any untoward incident related to Hazare’s agitation.
“We appeal to you to end your fast in the country’s interest. The government assured us that it is trying to find a solution to the Lokpal logjam,” said Gadkari in his letter.
The BJP president said a final decision to end the Lokpal logjam would be taken by the government and Hazare and he extended his support to both.
Gadkari said the BJP has been with Team Anna in its anti-corruption protest and wanted a strong Lokpal.
He said the BJP accepts the Jan Lokpal Bill, drafted by Team Anna as it would form the basis of a strong and effective Lokpal and expressed hope the Jan Lokpal Bill would be passed by the parliament soon.
Hazare was Thursday on the 10th day of his fast to push for the civil society’s Jan Lokpal bill.
- BJP, Team Anna agree on Jan Lokpal Bill - Aug 26, 2011
- Show courage on Lokpal bill, Hazare urges PM - Jan 22, 2012
- Lokpal debate in parliament Saturday; Anna firm on key demands (Roundup) - Aug 27, 2011
- Hazare stares at victory, government bends over Lokpal - Aug 25, 2011
- Show courage for strong Lokpal bill: Hazare to PM (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- PM ready for 'give and take' as Hazare continues fast (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2011
- Anna Hazare calls for nation-wide fast - Apr 01, 2011
- All party meeting urges Hazare to end fast (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- We want strong Lokpal bill, BJP tells Team Hazare (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Government committed to passing Lokpal bill soon: Narayanasamy - Jul 17, 2012
- Will tour the country to awaken people, says Hazare - Aug 03, 2012
- Lokpal Bill row: BJP asks Govt. not to make a 'prestige issue' - Apr 05, 2011
- Parliament to decide Lokpal bill's final shape: Pranab - Dec 26, 2011
- Desperate PM asks Anna to end fast, talks open (Roundup) - Aug 23, 2011
- Hegde urges Hazare to end fast (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
Tags: activist, agitation, bjp president, corruption, final decision, Health Science, legislation, logjam, lokpal bill, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, nitin, parliament, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, protest, untoward incident