BJD to field Dilip Tirkey for Rajya SabhaMarch 16th, 2012 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 16 (IANS) Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik Friday said the ruling Biju Janata Dal would be fielding former Indian hockey captain Dilip Tirkey for the upcoming Rajya Sabha polls from the state later this month.
The elections for three seats in the state would take place March 30, while the candidates would file their nomination papers March 19. Based on party strength in the state assembly, the BJD can easily win two Rajya Sabha seats. It has 103 members in the 147-member assembly.
Patnaik said the second candidate of his party will be Rabi Mohapatra, a veteran party man from the district of Nayagarh. The chief minister also said his party will not field a third candidate as it does not have the required strength.
Tirkey, who is a veteran defender had announced his retirement two years ago from international hockey citing fitness-related problems.
The former captain, born November 24, 1977, in the state’s Sundergarh district, has come a long way since his international baptism as an 18-year-old.
He has behind him three Olympic Games (Atlanta 1996, Sydney 2000 and Athens 2004), and as many World Cups, Asian Games, Asia Cups, and Champions Trophy tournaments behind him. He was also honoured with the Padma Shri and the Ekalavya award.
- Tirkey, two others elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha - Mar 22, 2012
- Vote for party's Rajya Sabha candidates, BJD tells legislators - Jun 13, 2010
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- Biju Janata Dal fields three for Rajya Sabha poll - Jun 04, 2010
- Nadda elected to Rajya Sabha from Himachal - Mar 22, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik to meet BJD leaders Friday (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Congress backs Orissa businessman for Rajya Sabha - Jun 07, 2010
- Dilip Tirkey announces retirement from international hockey - May 03, 2010
- Naveen Patnaik suspends Mohapatra, drops two ministers - Jun 01, 2012
- West Bengal Congress to contest Rajya Sabha polls - Mar 18, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M fields Chintha editor for Rajya Sabha - Jun 07, 2012
- BJP to abstain from Rajya Sabha poll in Orissa - Jun 06, 2010
- 'Tainted' BJP leader files Rajya Sabha papers - Mar 19, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik suspends Mohapatra, drops two ministers (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Dissident leader upset but rules out split in BJD - May 30, 2012
Tags: asia cups, asian games, athens 2004, atlanta 1996, bhubaneswar, champions trophy, chief minister, indian hockey, international hockey, member assembly, nomination papers, olympic games, olympic games atlanta, padma shri, party man, party strength, rajya sabha, sydney 2000, tirkey, world cups