BJD to continue supporting Sangma for presidency (Lead)June 16th, 2012 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 16 (IANS) Odisha’s ruling Biju Janata Dal Saturday said its stand on supporting former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma’s candidature for the 13th presidential election has remained unchanged.
“Sangma should be the best candidate for the post of president of India. He is the appropriate candidate,” Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik told reporters here.
Describing Sangma as a “very distinguished person”, the chief minister said there had been no change in his party’s stand on the matter.
“I hold that position at this moment,” he said after holding discussions for several hours with his party colleagues at his official residence.
Patnaik, who is also the chief of the party, last month proposed the name of Sangma after holding discussion with Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jaylalithaa. He described Sangma as a distinguished tribal leader.
- BJD to continue supporting Sangma for presidency - Jun 16, 2012
- A tribal should occupy Raisina Hill: Naveen Patnaik - Jun 21, 2012
- BJD backs Sangma for president - May 17, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik is Sangma's proposer for president's poll (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Presidential election: Sangma's son meets Patnaik - Jun 26, 2012
- Mayawati silent on Sangma's bid at presidency - May 19, 2012
- Congress, BJD trade charges over presidential election - Jul 01, 2012
- Jayalalithaa urges parties to support Sangma - May 18, 2012
- Jayalalithaa supports Sangma for president's post - May 17, 2012
- Patnaik leaves for Delhi to back Sangma - Jun 27, 2012
- Patnaik accuses Pranab of buying support - Jul 02, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- People taking interest in presidential poll: Sangma (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP - Jun 21, 2012