BJD leaves 3 Lok Sabha, 17 assembly seats for alliesMarch 28th, 2009 - 7:35 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 28 (IANS) Orissa’s ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) Saturday left three Lok Sabha and 17 assembly seats to its new allies - the Communist Party of India (CPI), the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) and the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) - in the state.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik told reporters that his party will leave the Sundergarh Lok Sabha seat for CPI-M, Jagatsinghpur for CPI and Balasore for NCP.
The CPI-M, CPI and NCP will also contest in five, four and eight assembly constituencies respectively. In these places, the BJD will not field any candidate, the chief minister said.
The All India Forward Block has also expressed interest in joining the group and all the parties have planned to launch a joint campaign for the Lok Sabha and assembly elections, Patnaik said.
Orissa goes to elections April 16 and 23 to elect 147 members to the assembly and 21 members to the Lok Sabha.
The BJD earlier this month following the end of a 11-year-old alliance with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). Legislators of these three parties had voted for the BJD during a trust vote.
- NCP withdraws support to BJD in Orissa - Dec 29, 2010
- BJD to abstain in vice-presidential poll - Aug 05, 2012
- Vote for party's Rajya Sabha candidates, BJD tells legislators - Jun 13, 2010
- BJD gives three Lok Sabha, 17 assembly seats to CPI, CPM and NCP - Mar 28, 2009
- Patnaik leaves for Delhi to back Sangma - Jun 27, 2012
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- Biju Janata Dal fields three for Rajya Sabha poll - Jun 04, 2010
- Sangma to campaign in Odisha July 15 - Jul 06, 2012
- Pranab in Odisha to seek support - Jul 11, 2012
- BJD to field Dilip Tirkey for Rajya Sabha - Mar 16, 2012
- Dissident BJD leader's forum a parallel platform? - Oct 12, 2011
- Government wins first NCTC battle in parliament (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik is Sangma's proposer for president's poll (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- BJP rules out poll pact with BJD - Oct 31, 2011
Tags: allies, assembly constituencies, assembly elections, assembly seats, balasore, bharatiya janata party, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, legislators, Lok Sabha, nationalist congress party, naveen patnaik, ncp, orissa, state chief, trust vote