BJD heading for landslide win in Orissa (Second Lead)May 16th, 2009 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 16 (IANS) Orissa’s ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) was far ahead of its rivals - the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Congress - as counting of votes for the state’s 21 Lok Sabha and 147 assembly seats was underway Saturday. The BJD has won two assembly seats and BJP one so far, poll officials said.
The BJD has won the Mahanga and Hindol assembly seats, and the BJP the Sambhalpur seat, according to results declared by noon.
BJD candidates were leading in 101 assembly constituencies. The Congress and the BJP were ahead in 30 and 10 respectively.
Similarly, the BJD was also leading in 14 Lok Sabha constituencies. While the Congress was leading in six seats the Communist Party of India in one seat.
The BJP appears to be faring poorly with its candidates leading in none of the Lok Sabha seats.
The ruling BJD looks to be heading for a landslide win and could form the government in the state on its own strength, an analyst said.
Elections for both the Lok Sabha and assembly were held simultaneously in two phases April 16 and April 23.
- Will not support UPA or NDA government, says victorious Naveen Patnaik - May 16, 2009
- BJD heads for landslide victory in Orissa (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- BJD leads in Orissa in early rounds of counting - May 16, 2009
- Pranab to campaign in Odisha July 11 - Jul 01, 2012
- Naveen Patnaik wins from Hinjili in Orissa - May 16, 2009
- Congress wins two bypolls, BJP drubbed in Karnataka (Roundup) - Dec 04, 2011
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- Sangma to campaign in Odisha July 15 - Jul 06, 2012
- Ruling BJD wins Odisha bypoll - Dec 04, 2011
- Pranab in Odisha to seek support - Jul 11, 2012
- GJM to go with Trinamool on presidential poll - Jun 28, 2012
- Congress scores in Karnataka, Gujarat, mauled in Andhra (Roundup) - Mar 21, 2012
- NDA reviews vice presidential poll strategy - Jul 24, 2012
- Landslide victory for Patnaik in Orissa (Fourth Lead) - May 16, 2009
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: assembly constituencies, assembly seats, bharatiya janata party, bjp, communist party of india, congress, elections, heading, landslide, lok sabha constituencies, lok sabha seats, orissa, poll, rivals