BJD confident of winning Orissa trust voteMarch 11th, 2009 - 11:19 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 11 (IANS) Orissa’s ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD), whose government has lost the support of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), vowed to win Wednesday’s trust vote in the state assembly.
The BJP withdrew legislative backing to Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik Saturday night after the failure of talks over seat sharing for the Lok Sabha elections.
The BJD, which has 61 members in the 147-member legislature, needs the support of 13 members to win the trust vote. The BJP has a 32-member bloc but three of them have resigned and decided to back the government.
BJD general secretary Damodar Rout told IANS that his party enjoyed the support of more legislators that needed to prove its majority in the house. “We are confident we will prove the majority,” Rout said.
The Congress, which has 38 members, has not yet announced its course of action.
The BJD said it had been assured support by four Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) legislators, one each of the Communist Party of India and Communist Party of India-Marxist, six independents and the three BJP rebels.
BJD leaders also expect cross-voting by some Congress and BJP legislators in support of the government.
- Sangma to campaign in Odisha July 15 - Jul 06, 2012
- BJP backtracks, votes for JMM candidate - Mar 30, 2012
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- Munda licks wounds after BJP defeat - May 04, 2012
- Dissident BJD leader's forum a parallel platform? - Oct 12, 2011
- BJP to abstain from Rajya Sabha poll in Orissa - Jun 06, 2010
- Congress wins two bypolls, BJP drubbed in Karnataka (Roundup) - Dec 04, 2011
- Vote for party's Rajya Sabha candidates, BJD tells legislators - Jun 13, 2010
- BJD, NCP talks on seat sharing fail - Mar 26, 2009
- BJP's alliance partners in Jharkhand to support Pranab - Jul 17, 2012
- Pranab in Odisha to seek support - Jul 11, 2012
- Pranab will win, claims UPA - Jul 17, 2012
- Protests as Orissa text brackets JMM with Maoists (Lead) - Jul 28, 2010
- Congress backs Orissa businessman for Rajya Sabha - Jun 07, 2010
- Anand Sharma, Venkaiah Naidu, Jethmalani win Rajya Sabha elections (Roundup) - Jun 17, 2010
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjd leaders, bjp, bloc, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, damodar, general secretary, independents, jharkhand mukti morcha, jmm, legislators, lok sabha elections, march 11, member legislature, orissa, rout, state assembly, trust vote