BJD calls Odisha shutdown against petrol price hikeMay 25th, 2012 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 25 (IANS) Odisha’s ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) Friday called for a statewide shutdown May 31 to protest the hike in petrol prices by oil marketing companies.
At an emergency meeting, the office bearers of the party here decided to organise demonstrations and protests across the state on their own, even though the Left parties and the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) also have called a nation-wide shutdown the same day.
Oil companies Wednesday announced a hefty hike of Rs.6.28 per litre, exclusive of taxes, in prices of petrol.
“We are not with NDA or with Left parties. We will protest on our own,” BJD vice president Damodar Rout told IANS.
The BJD and other non-Congress parties have been organising protests, marches and demonstrations across the state since Thursday, the day after the hike was announced.
- Shutdown hits train traffic in Odisha - May 31, 2012
- Tripura demands roll back of oil price hike - May 24, 2012
- Odisha protests diesel price hike, cap on cooking gas - Sep 14, 2012
- Petrol price hike: Left calls for strike in Tripura - May 27, 2012
- Petrol price hike fuels protests, opposition ire (Roundup) - May 24, 2012
- Government stands by on petrol hike, allies protest (Roundup) - May 25, 2012
- Protests across Maharashtra against petrol price hike - May 24, 2012
- Complete shutdown observed in Odisha (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Odisha protests over petrol price hike - May 24, 2012
- Tripura's Left government protests petrol price hike - Sep 16, 2011
- Patnaik slams petrol price hike - Nov 05, 2011
- Odisha protests neglect in railway budget - Mar 15, 2012
- Shutdown cripples life in Chhattisgarh - May 31, 2012
- Protest against petrol prices leaves India hobbled (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- Roll back fuel price hike, Left demands - May 31, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,