BJD, BJP part ways in Orissa (Lead)March 8th, 2009 - 1:02 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 7 (IANS) The Biju Janata Dal (BJD), one of the oldest allies of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), decided to fight the Lok Sabha elections in Orissa on its own after their seat-sharing talks failed here late Saturday.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, who heads the BJD, told reporters here that his party will fight the Lok Sabha and assembly elections alone.
“Our talks have failed. We concentrated on the winnability,” Patnaik said after parleys with BJP MP Chandan Mitra.
Mitra declined to speak to the media.
The BJD and BJP jointly fought the Lok Sabha polls in 1998, 1999 and 2004 and the assembly elections of 2000 and 2004.
In both assembly polls, the BJD contested 84 seats and BJP 63. In the general elections, the BJD contested 12 seats and BJP nine.
The trouble started when the BJD said it wanted to contest more seats in the 2009 Lok Sabha polls as its popularity had increased. But BJP leaders wanted to maintain the old ratio.
The BJD was part of the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) governments headed by Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- BJP, BJD split in Orissa - Mar 08, 2009
- BJP parts ways with BJD, withdraws support to Patnaik government (Second Lead) - Mar 08, 2009
- Congress never cared for poor but enriched itself, says Gadkari - Jan 17, 2011
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- BJP rules out poll pact with BJD - Oct 31, 2011
- BJP-BJD alliance splits - Mar 07, 2009
- Vice presidential hopefull Jaswant Singh comes full circle - Jul 16, 2012
- Sangma to campaign in Odisha July 15 - Jul 06, 2012
- Vajpayee turns 88 amid health concerns - Dec 23, 2011
- Naveen Patnaik - true inheritor of his father's legacy (Profile) - May 21, 2009
- BJP offers BJD 25 more seats in Orissa - Mar 06, 2009
- Gadkari slams UPA government for rampant inflation - Jul 08, 2012
- BJD to abstain in vice-presidential poll - Aug 05, 2012
- Advani sting: People upset with BJP too (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- PM, BJP leaders greet Vajpayee on his 87th birthday - Dec 25, 2011
Tags: allies, assembly elections, bharatiya janata party, bihari vajpayee, bjp leaders, chandan, chief minister, general elections, governments, lok sabha elections, lok sabha polls, mitra mitra, mp, national democratic alliance, naveen patnaik, orissa, parleys, popularity