BJD activists protest railways’ neglect of OrissaMarch 15th, 2011 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 15 (IANS) Activists of Orissa’s ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) Tuesday afternoon protested the Indian railways’ neglect of the state, complaining of insufficient allocations for Orissa in the railway budget 2011-12.
A large number of party activists and leaders, under the banner of BJD’s youth wing, took out a motorcycle rally and gathered near Raj Bhavan, the official residence of Governor M.C.Bhandare.
They also shouted slogans criticising the central government for poor allocation of funds to the state in the 2011-12 railway budget.
At least 30 party legislators attended the rally and addressed the gathering.
“Railways is getting revenue of more than Rs.7,000 crore from our state every year, but in return giving back only a meagre amount,” legislator and BJD youth wing chief Sanjaya Das Verma said.
“We will intensify our protest against the railway ministry in the coming days,” he said.
In his response to the railway budget, BJD president and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik had said the state government request for new lines, new surveys and capacity expansion was not considered by Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee.
“It was grossly inadequate considering the requirement of the on-going projects in Orissa and completely falls short of our legitimate demands,” he said.
The state government had demanded that the railways sanction Rs.2,085 crore for various projects in the state in 2011-2012, but the proposed allocation was only about Rs.1,168 crore, Patnaik noted.
- Rail budget disappointing: Naveen Patnaik - Feb 25, 2011
- Odisha protests neglect in railway budget - Mar 15, 2012
- Patnaik slams petrol price hike - Nov 05, 2011
- Use up funds for drinking water, Jairam tells Orissa - Oct 06, 2011
- Orissa BJP seeks details of threat from Andhra dam - Sep 21, 2010
- Funds for computerising courts doubled - Mar 16, 2012
- Protests over Mamata's budget hit Orissa rail services - Feb 26, 2010
- Rail fare hike to hit common man: Naveen Patnaik - Mar 14, 2012
- Urban development ministry gets 12 percent hike - Mar 16, 2012
- Odisha protests cut in railway budgetary allocation - Jul 29, 2012
- Tax free Chhattisgarh budget focuses on agriculture - Feb 26, 2011
- Journalists protest attack on colleague by BJD leader - Feb 08, 2011
- Mukherjee allocates Rs.2,14,000 crore for infrastructure sector - Feb 28, 2011
- BJD activists disrupt rail traffic in Orissa - Jul 07, 2009
- Chandigarh cheers budget bounty - Feb 28, 2011
Tags: activists protest, bhubaneswar, capacity expansion, central government, chief minister, crore, government request, indian railways, janata, legislator, mamata, motorcycle rally, naveen patnaik, orissa, party activists, railway budget, railway minister, raj bhavan, rs 1, tuesday afternoon