Bismillah Khan’s disciple to play at Varun’s weddingMarch 5th, 2011 - 4:36 pm ICT by IANS
Varanasi, March 5 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP Varun Gandhi’s wedding with Kolkata-based graphic designer Yamini Roy here Sunday will see shehnai maestro late Bismillah Khan’s son-in-law and disciple Ustad Ali Abbas render the ragas of his legendary teacher.
“I and my group will render the same tunes my ustad (Bismillah Khan) used to play during auspicious functions and ceremonies,” Abbas told reporters here Saturday.
“It’s quite heartening that Varun’s wedding will take place here… We will make every effort from our side to make the wedding memorable,” he added.
Abbas and his group have been rehearsing for the day since they were approached some 15 days back.
“We would play the popular old song ‘Jhumka gira re, Bareilly ke bazaar mein…’ composed in the Purvi tone and would render several auspicious tunes,” said Abbas.
- Bismillah Khan's disciple to play at Varun's wedding (Lead) - Mar 05, 2011
- Varun Gandhi's wedding rituals start at Varanasi - Mar 06, 2011
- Shehnai on the verge of extinction in Bangladesh - Sep 01, 2010
- Varun marries Yamini Roy in Varanasi (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- Vice President Ansari releases "Bismillah Khan: The Maestro from Benaras" - Mar 21, 2011
- Asha Bhosle's never heard before dance number released - Dec 30, 2010
- Shehnai maestro Bismillah Khan's second death anniversary observed - Aug 22, 2008
- Varun Gandhi ties the knot, aunt Sonia misses ceremony (Second Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- Fantastic bard of Benaras: A filmmaker remembers Bismillah Khan - Oct 07, 2011
- Am a fan of Bismillah Khan, Satyajit Ray: French musician - Jan 24, 2010
- Bismillah Khan's nephew to perform at Commonwealth Games opening ceremony - Sep 20, 2010
- Musician siblings torn between riyaz and clothes shop - Nov 14, 2011
- Mohan Khan set to pay tribute to Mehdi Hassan (With Images) - Jul 11, 2012
- Varun meets Sonia, invites her to wedding - Feb 16, 2011
- Lady Gaga loves the sitar: Fateh Ali Khan (With Images) - Jun 03, 2012