Biman takes a dig at Mamata over FDI issueMay 9th, 2012 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 9 (IANS) Left Front chairman Biman Bose Wednesday took a dig at West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for reportedly discussing the issue of FDI in retail with US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
“What I have come to know from newspaper reports is that a statement from US Consulate has said that there has been a discussion on FDI in retail. Then surely there has been a discussion. It’s no use hiding it,” said Bose while addressing reporters here.
Sparking off a controversy, the US Monday claimed that the issue of increasing US investment in West Bengal, including in the retail sector, was touched upon by visiting US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton during her meeting with Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
The statement came hours after Banerjee categorically told media persons that the issue of FDI in retail did not figure in her deliberations with Clinton.
Earlier, the Left had registered their opposition over the speculations that Hillary will discuss the FDI issue with Mamata.
“Touching on issues, ranging from increasing US investment in West Bengal, including the retail sector, US-India relations, regional affairs and strong people-to-people connections, the secretary reaffirmed to the chief minister the US desire to work with India and West Bengal to deepen and broaden our partnership,” the statement released by the US consulate here said.
Contradicting the US version, the West Bengal government Monday night itself claimed that Clinton had not referred to FDI in retail during her meeting with Banerjee.
- FDI issue: US says it was discussed, Mamata says no - May 08, 2012
- Did Mamata-Hillary talk about foreign investment in retail? (West Bengal Newsletter) - May 13, 2012
- US to invest in Bengal as 'partner state': Mamata (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Clinton, Krishna discuss terror, Afghanistan (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Clinton calls for greater debate on FDI, n-cooperation - May 07, 2012
- Hillary, Mamata likely to discuss FDI, Teesta treaty - May 05, 2012
- After Congress, Left accuses Trinamool of double standards on FDI - Sep 20, 2012
- Hillary expresses US desire to invest: Mamata - May 07, 2012
- Trinamool opposition to FDI not ideological: CPI-M - Aug 25, 2012
- Don't succumb to US on retail trade: CPI-M - May 07, 2012
- Hillary meets trafficking victims, visits Victorial Memorial (Roundup) - May 06, 2012
- Mamata has affinity to US policies: Left - Aug 30, 2012
- Clinton's visit: India, US to discuss Afghanistan, Iran, n-deal (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Clinton, Mamata meet with folded hands - May 07, 2012
- 'Powerful Hillary, influential Mamata's meet significant' - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: bose, chief minister, controversy, deliberations, hillary clinton, india relations, mamata banerjee, media persons, monday night, newspaper reports, opposition, partnership, regional affairs, retail sector, secretary of state, speculations, west bengal government