Bill on compulsory voting reaches Gujarat house againSeptember 7th, 2010 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, Sep 7 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government in Gujarat Tuesday reintroduced in the assembly a bill making voting mandatory in elections to local self-government authorities.
The Gujarat Local Authorities Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2009 was brought before the house without any change but along with Governor Kamla Beniwal’s “message” dated April 5.
The governor had returned the bill and recommended that its provisions be reconsidered for suitable amendments by the house.
The bill was presented by Speaker Daulatbhai Desai, officiating in place of Ashok Bhatt who is recuperating after a serious bout of illness, on the second and final day of the assembly session. It is expected to be taken up in the next session.
The governor had returned the bill pointing out that it violated provisions of the constitution which guarantee freedom of expression which also includes the right not to vote.
She noted that no provision has been made in the bill regarding government’s own duty of incorporating all eligible voters in the voters’ list or timely distribution of voters’ identity cards.
The penal consequences that a voter is likely to suffer if he or she is declared a defaulter for not voting are also not specified. “This is an essential legislative function and cannot be left to the rule making authority as no norms have been prescribed,” the governor noted.
She had also noted that in countries where compulsory voting was implemented, it was found impractical and ultimately withdrawn.
A similar bill was introduced in the Lok Sabha in December 2004 by BJP member Bachchi Singh Rawat but rejected after discussion, the governor said.
- Gujarat Governor rejects Local Authorities Laws (Amendment) Bill 2009 - Apr 18, 2010
- Gujarat governor returns compulsory voting bill - Apr 17, 2010
- Gujarat to replace Bombay in old state laws: Modi - May 01, 2011
- BJP meets president, demands Gujarat governor's removal - May 30, 2012
- Trinamool, NDA oppose communal violence bill (Lead) - Sep 10, 2011
- Congress to oppose Gujarat compulsory voting bill - Dec 18, 2009
- Jurists differ on controversial Gujarat Lokayukta appointment - Sep 05, 2011
- Court's Gujarat Lokayukta order harms federalism: BJP (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- BJP asks president to intervene in Gujarat Lokayukta issue - Sep 02, 2011
- Rajya Sabha adjourned over 'land grab' - May 18, 2012
- UPA conspiring against Gujarat government: Modi - Sep 25, 2011
- Gujarat makes voting a must in local elections (Lead) - Dec 19, 2009
- Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day - Sep 06, 2011
- BJP flays Gujarat Lokayukta appointment - Aug 27, 2011
- Modi honours school teachers - Sep 04, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,