Bill Clinton calls for support to Greek economyJuly 23rd, 2012 - 9:57 am ICT by IANS
Athens, July 23 (IANS) Former US president Bill Clinton has called for support to the ailing Greek economy.
Clinton, who is US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’ husband, gave a call while paying a short visit to Athens Sunday to address an event organised by Greek-American entrepreneurs, Xinhua reported.
During a meeting with Prime Minister Antonis Samaras, Clinton said, “I believe that together, we can do something to help you.”
According to a release issued by Samaras’ office, both leaders stressed the need for structural reforms along fiscal consolidation in the debt-laden country to reverse deep recession fuelled by harsh austerity over the past two years and tackle the Greek debt crisis.
The Greek prime minister welcomed Clinton as “a good friend of Greece” and thanked him for his participation in an initiative launched by members of the Greek- American community.
Clinton visited Greek to promote the “Hellenic Initiative,” an initiative by businessmen of Greek origin living abroad for facilitating foreign investment in the debt-ridden country and to raise $100 million to help charities active in Greece.
The project is strongly supported by the Clinton Global Initiative that aims to address international challenges by bringing together distinguished personalities from across the world.
In statements made during the meeting with Samaras, shortly before addressing a Greek-American audience, Clinton stressed that he believes in Greece’s future.
- Austerity necessary to regain credibility: Greek PM - Sep 09, 2012
- Cash-strapped Greece cuts government jets - Aug 28, 2012
- Greek PM to miss EU summit for eye surgery - Jun 24, 2012
- Greece approves 2012 budget amid austerity protests - Dec 07, 2011
- Greek PM insists on referendum on EU aid deal - Nov 02, 2011
- Please save Greece's monuments, say archaeologists - Mar 15, 2012
- Antonis Samaras sworn in as Greece prime minister - Jun 20, 2012
- Give Greece extra time: Austria - Aug 27, 2012
- Greek PM asks for 'time to breathe' - Aug 25, 2012
- Greece rejects Moody's rating of its bonds - Jun 15, 2010
- Greek economy to shrink in 2012 - Mar 20, 2012
- Indian PM reaches Rio for Earth Summit (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- New Democracy party asked to form Greek government - Jun 18, 2012
- Samaras begins coalition talks for a Greece government (Second Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Moody's downgrades Greece to lowest rating (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
Tags: american audience, american entrepreneurs, antonis, austerity, businessmen, clinton global initiative, debt crisis, fiscal consolidation, foreign investment, greek american community, greek economy, greek origin, greek prime minister, hillary clinton, international challenges, president bill clinton, samaras, us president bill, us president bill clinton, xinhua