Bihar uploads clips of corrupt officialsOctober 21st, 2011 - 5:08 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Oct 21 (IANS) The Bihar government has uploaded clips of complaints against Bihar officials who allegedly sought bribes to implement welfare schemes.
The aim, Rural Development Minister Nitish Mishra said, was “to embarrass and expose the officials”.
“We have uploaded clips of complaints against officials who demanded bribes from the poorest of the poor in connection with the Indira Awas Yojana (IAY),” Mishra told IANS. “It is a big hit.”
Mishra had vowed nearly two months ago to use YouTube as a tool to expose the corrupt and bribe seekers.
Nearly one million people living below the poverty line were given in August the first instalment of money under IAY to build houses.
The government directed all district officials to make arrangements to record video of complaints by beneficiaries of IAY at the camps.
The move follows increasing complaints by villagers about officials asking for bribes to get work done with respect to the IAY.
The minister said the government had lodged police complaints against 72 officials. “We have also issued show cause notices against them.”
The central government has sanctioned over Rs.3,000 crore to build IAY houses this year.
- Bihar's new tool to fight corruption - YouTube - Aug 26, 2011
- Bihar government now targets corrupt middlemen - Jan 21, 2012
- Villagers block road over Bihar family's suicide - Aug 23, 2011
- Will torch myself if not given a home, says poor Dalit - Mar 20, 2010
- Bihar appoints Lokpals in 12 districts - Oct 31, 2011
- 6 Tripura officials jailed for embezzlement - Apr 04, 2012
- Bihar's poor have not benefited from welfare schemes: Rahul - Nov 03, 2010
- Tripura offers land, housing to poor families - Jul 05, 2012
- Bangladesh against fencing at border zero-line: Sarkar - Mar 05, 2012
- C.P. Joshi launches AWAASSOFT- a web enabled software for Indira Awaas Yojana - Jul 16, 2010
- PM announces Rs.300 crore relief for Assam victims - Jul 28, 2012
- Bihar dismisses six BDOs for corruption - Feb 08, 2012
- Bihar dismisses five police officials for corruption - Feb 10, 2012
- Bihar cracks whip again, sacks corrupt official - Jan 24, 2012
- Fighting corruption - a poor farmer's way - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: awas, beneficiaries, bihar government, bribe, bribes, central government, corrupt officials, crore, development minister, district officials, indira, instalment, living below the poverty line, mishra, nitish, one million, police complaints, rural development, welfare schemes, yojana