Bihar seeks special category - with signaturesJuly 10th, 2011 - 2:27 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 10 (IANS) Chief Minister Nitish Kumar flagged off a four-day yatra here Sunday to hand over 1.25 crore signatures to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding a special category status for Bihar.
The signatures have been compiled in over 1,800 books of 250 pages each.
They will reach New Delhi July 13 after the yatra covers 1,200 km via Uttar Pradesh.
Hundreds of workers of the ruling Janata Dal-United (JD-U) gathered at the party headquarters when Nitish Kumar flagged off a colourful ‘rath’ — an air conditioned bus.
The state assembly passed a resolution April 13, 2006 stating Bihar be accorded a special status.
Saying Bihar suffered huge financial losses arising out of bifurcation of the state in 2000, he said special assistance from the Planning Commission was a rightful claim.
State JD-U president Vashisht Narain Singh told IANS that the party will submit millions of signatures to the prime minister — and a memorandum.
“The signatures of nearly 10 percent of Bihar population will be handed over to the prime minister to put pressure on the central government,” he said.
Bihar sought a package of Rs.179,000 crore as compensation when Jharkhand was carved out of it.
The measure was backed by the then opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the JD-U.
The BJP-led National Democratic Alliance was in power in New Delhi and Nitish Kumar was the railways minister, but the state was not granted the package.
Later, the Congress-led government too ignored the request although former chief minister Lalu Prasad Yadav and Ram Vilas Paswan were its members.
- We will take special status for Bihar: Nitish Kumar - Aug 27, 2011
- Nitish Kumar congratulates Pranab, invites him to Bihar - Jul 22, 2012
- BJP leader walks over to JD-U in Bihar - Jul 03, 2012
- Bihar's ruling party on a green mission - Aug 29, 2011
- Special status must for Bihar's development: Nitish Kumar - Mar 14, 2011
- Nitish Kumar gives month's salary for green Bihar drive - Sep 03, 2011
- Nitish to flag off Advani's 'rath yatra' - Sep 23, 2011
- BJP will not encourage desertions from JD-U in Bihar: Modi - Jul 10, 2012
- War rages in Bihar between BJP, JD-U (Bihar Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- Bihar ministers, legislator donate salary for green cause - Sep 06, 2011
- Nitish Kumar demands special category status for Bihar - Sep 19, 2012
- Budget is directionless, says Nitish Kumar - Feb 28, 2011
- Bihar's ruling JD-U is against Modi for PM's post - Sep 18, 2011
- Nitish Kumar elected head of NDA legislature party (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- After politicians, officials to plant trees in Bihar - Sep 12, 2011
Tags: bifurcation, bjp, category status, central government, chief minister, colourful, financial losses, manmohan, manmohan singh, narain singh, national democratic alliance, party headquarters, planning commission, prasad, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, ram vilas paswan, state assembly, vilas, yadav