Bihar Opposition demands CBI probe into gangrape of minorAugust 3rd, 2012 - 5:22 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Aug 3 (IANS) The Opposition in both houses of the state legislature Friday raised the issue of the alleged gangrape of a Class 11 student in Patna and demanded a CBI probe into it.
Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) members in the legislative assembly and council accused the state government of suppressing investigation to protect some vested interests.
“We have raised the issue and demanded a CBI probe into it,” RJD legislator Samrat Choudhary told IANS.
In view of widespread protests by activists and an uproar by the Opposition in the assembly, Patna’s Senior Superintendent of Police Amrit Raj said, “The police will request the court for a speedy trial in the gangrape case after a charge sheet is filed.”
He said that the police would file a charge sheet soon.
All the five accused, who were on the run, have been arrested. The alleged incident took place at Rajvanshi Nagar of Patna June 14 but it was not reported till July end.
The accused allegedly videographed the rape and circulated its CDs and MMS among friends, police said.
A complaint was filed by the Bihar Commission for Women after the opposition parties and activists took out a candle march and held a vigil to highlight the case.
In her statement to both the women’s commission and the police, the girl stated that she was gangraped by five boys.
- Women not safe in Bihar, says NCW team - Aug 17, 2012
- Three Bihar school boys detained for gangrape - Jul 27, 2012
- Girl gangraped in Patna boys' hostel - Sep 12, 2012
- Bihar assembly committee to probe 'health scam' - Aug 09, 2012
- Odisha gang rape: Doctors protest action - Jun 27, 2012
- Opposition rejects chargesheet on Odisha gangrape (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Pipili case: Charge sheet filed against dismissed cop - May 11, 2012
- Odisha gangrape victim's death triggers protests - Jun 22, 2012
- CBI probe sought into Odisha gangrape - Jan 30, 2012
- Odisha assault victim's kin seek CBI probe - Mar 11, 2012
- Congress walks out in Chhattisgarh house over girl's killing - Dec 23, 2011
- Three Odisha doctors charged in Pipli gangrape case - Jun 13, 2012
- RJD seeks CBI probe in Bihar land scam - Jul 23, 2011
- Maharashtra government set to face opposition ire - Jul 08, 2012
- 67 legislators suspended in Bihar (Second Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
Tags: activists, amrit, cbi probe, gangrape, june 14, legislative assembly, legislator, mms, opposition parties, patna, protests, raj, rape, speedy trial, state government, state legislature, superintendent, uproar, vigil